This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Maps

Maps

Postby Viree » Apr 15, 2001 @ 1:11pm

Hi everybody,<br><br>The thought of being able to view maps in my Ipaq3630 would be so cool. I have tried downloading MS Pocket Street, only to find out that I will also need to purchase another MS software (can't remember which one) to create maps. Do I have any alternatives?
if (argc > 1
strcmp(argv[1], "-advice") == 0)
{ printf("Don't Panic!\n"); exit(42);}
Viree
pm Member

Re: Maps

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 15, 2001 @ 2:23pm

Your talking about MS Streets its cheap. Its like 40 bux with a 20 dollar rebate at Best Buy. THe good part is you don't need to draw the maps with that its like 4 cd's full of maps you can find almost anywhere on it. DOn't be a poor person and not buy it if you want maps. I myself don't own it, but i can't drive either so a road map just depresses me
Moose or Chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 15, 2001 @ 8:48pm

If you could get some GPS software you'd have the entire world on that little satelite enabled CF card. Even a low quality GPS card would allow you to make your own 'MAP'. It can trace where you've been, and you can even add point names (for an intersection or something). If you do find a good Map software that contains a map of South-west Florida please tell me. I really need a map program for my Casio. My email is below.Last modification: Moose Master - 04/15/01 at 17:48:30
Moose or Chuck

Postby SonicSilicon » Apr 15, 2001 @ 10:43pm

I wouldn't use Pocket Streets for one simple reason - the maps are rasterized. That means you can only keep a handful of maps plus zooming wouldn't really do anything.<br><br>The best map program I've found is RoutePlanner Millenium. It uses vector maps (so you can put in a whole region such as Aouthwestern USA.) Plus they have Europe and USA maps sold seperately. The problem is that the international shipping is more than half the price of the product (the company is based in the UK.) The total comes to GBP 64.99 which converts to a whopping USD 93.41. I'm going to keep looking for it at e-tailers.Last modification: SonicSilicon - 04/15/01 at 19:43:13
SonicSilicon
pm Member

Postby Viree » Apr 15, 2001 @ 10:59pm

I wouldn't use Pocket Streets for one simple reason - the maps are rasterized. That means you can only keep a handful of maps plus zooming wouldn't really do anything.<br><br>Ah...you were right, each map take about 900 odd Kb.
if (argc > 1
strcmp(argv[1], "-advice") == 0)
{ printf("Don't Panic!\n"); exit(42);}
Viree
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 16, 2001 @ 1:12am

i've never used any of it so don't blame me :P
Moose or Chuck

Postby lww » Apr 17, 2001 @ 11:58pm

MapBlast has a method whereby you put in an address, then click on PDA download.  Ok, its<br>small.  I was also able to get directions, then copy it to my pocket pc.  Just a thought.
lww

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

General Windows Mobile discussion for end-users. Hardware, software, etc. This is also the forum to post your product announcements and other news.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Kevin Gelso, RICoder, Chris Edwards

Forum permissions