This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Game music

Game music

Postby spacebrawl » Jul 8, 2005 @ 11:08am

Hi,

This is not directly a technical question, but I figure a lot of you guys have faced the same problem earlier...
My Game "Mole Position" is basically complete. Thanks to PF, PH and Hekkus, that was not so difficult to do :D

Anyway, I am thinking of adding a background music to the game. I already found quite a few mod-files that would fit extremely well. Unfortunately, none of the authors left an Email-address or any other way to contact her or him. So, I am just stuck with names like "Deathjester/Anarchy" and no clue how to ask them for permission :(

I am sure that I am not the only guy out there who is totally inept as far as making his own mods is concerned. How did you solve the problem? Did you just not use any music at all? Is there a place out there with free-to-use mods, just like those free MIDI loops you can find anywhere?

Any advice is highly appreciated.
Thanks.

Jens
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

spacebrawl
pm Member

Postby BIGBEN » Jul 8, 2005 @ 1:39pm

Yes I faced the same problem, try to go to to select module music with author from 31573 files ;)
What is the objective in your game - can't figure out it from the screenshot ?
BIGBEN
pm Member

Postby Conan » Jul 9, 2005 @ 6:53am

What is Best in Life ?
Conan
pm Member

Re: Game music

Postby Kak » Jul 9, 2005 @ 8:44am

for the last game I searched music around internet and finally found a group named "The Silents" (ww.silents.dk) and we made a deal for some of his songs . I really loved that group and its music some time ago so it was a nice thing to do.

unfortunately the game was a fiasco and still haven't got what I paid for it ;)

I'll probably do like conan next project.
Kak
pm Member

Postby spacebrawl » Jul 9, 2005 @ 9:42am

spacebrawl
pm Member

Postby BIGBEN » Jul 9, 2005 @ 12:00pm

BIGBEN
pm Member

Postby spacebrawl » Jul 9, 2005 @ 2:41pm

spacebrawl
pm Member

Postby Conan » Jul 9, 2005 @ 3:10pm

What is Best in Life ?
Conan
pm Member

Postby spacebrawl » Jul 9, 2005 @ 3:34pm

spacebrawl
pm Member

Postby BIGBEN » Jul 9, 2005 @ 7:17pm

BIGBEN
pm Member

Postby spacebrawl » Jul 9, 2005 @ 11:21pm

spacebrawl
pm Member

Postby spacebrawl » Jul 10, 2005 @ 2:29am

spacebrawl
pm Member

Postby Conan » Jul 10, 2005 @ 7:23am

You are trying too hard to find music with a big bold 'go on and use in your projectfor free even if you sell the game' message and you just won't find these.

You need music, a) for the player and b) so you know howto handle music in a game.

I do not see anything wrong with using a 10 year old .mod with no identification on it so long as you do not charge users for it. In my case I wanted to offer multiple tunes so I hunted down suitable .mods which were either unnamed or fully identified. In the end for a PocketPC game like mine I could only afford $50 per track so I opted for mainly free. I had to pay $000 for 3D work plus contributions to Hekkus & PF and I had limited funds.
What is Best in Life ?
Conan
pm Member

Postby Kak » Jul 10, 2005 @ 8:25am

for my latest game I decided to use a common directory for my music, so that different installed games of mine in the same pocket pc will automatically access other games (of mine) music, having a broader selection to hear to.

it's not that it's going to help the problem of finding music (in fact there are two modes, the "built in music" and the "random music") but we could think something similar for all the developers so that the users put the music in a well known directory and games automatically access them.

in extreme cases you wouldn't even have to worry about giving music to the user to install
Kak
pm Member

Postby Conan » Jul 10, 2005 @ 8:27am

The directory approach would work in this case. Just tell people where to download mods and they can do it themselves. Maybe supply a small sample
What is Best in Life ?
Conan
pm Member

Next

Return to PocketFrog & PocketHAL

Sort

Forum Description

SDKs for fast and robust device-independent access to Pocket PC display hardware.

Moderators:

sponge, Kzinti

Forum permissions