This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Software VS: Hardware

Software VS: Hardware

Postby kelesis » Feb 21, 2005 @ 7:28pm

Coming from a somewhat 3D world and playing around with 2D now, I have a few technical questions that I hope somebody out there might help with me. The first is software mode VS: hardware. In the following I’m making reference only to Gapidraw and the hardware that runs it. Hopefully the answer to all my questions will be “None of it matters” – here’s hoping.

1) Since software mode is using the CPU and local memory to do everything I’m guessing texture size shouldn’t matter – is that correct? – as long as it fits in memory

2) In hardware mode, does texture size matter? Most older 3D cards are limited to 256 or 512 texture sizes when using 3D acceleration. Should I be aware of this if I want to make my game 2D hardware accelerated? Or does the video card have a separate pipeline via textures for 2D versus 3D where size doesn’t matter?

3) If I want to move my game over to say a palm or a smart phone using software mode, do those machines have limitations on texture size or is it just a limit via memory?

I hope these questions don’t seem to foolish, I’m pretty sure I know the answer to them all but I keep reading little snippets here and there about memory size in files and such for palms, and other comments about games not working on older machines using hardware mode.

Thanks a bunch,
Kalesis
<i>Then a wandering lad with wild green hair and a taste for adventure came into the village.</i>
kelesis
pm Member

Postby Johan » Feb 22, 2005 @ 10:52am

Johan Sanneblad, M.Sc, Ph.D
GapiDraw Systems Architect
[]
Johan
pm Member

Return to GapiDraw

Sort

Forum Description

The Cross-platform Graphics SDK for Palms, Pocket PCs, Symbian Devices, and Stationary PCs.

Moderators:

sponge, Johan

Forum permissions