This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

How free is free?

How free is free?

Postby Dirk » Jul 6, 2002 @ 3:24pm

Dirk

Speed!

Postby Dirk » Jul 6, 2002 @ 5:04pm

hmmm I pretty much got that answer from reading the faq...sorry about this post ;^)

Another question which I didn't get from the FAQ is this: how fast is Gapidraw in respect to the other libraries out there? And do you use inline Assembly for the quick things like sprites and screen updates?

thanks!

Dirk
Dirk

Postby DillRye » Jul 6, 2002 @ 6:45pm

Its FAST, correct me if I'm wrong, but I belive GapiDraw now uses a modular approach where depending on the device you compile for it has different ASM routines, making it just about as fast as possible on each device.
DillRye
pm Insider

Postby Johan » Jul 6, 2002 @ 7:32pm

Hi Dirk,

Inline assembly is not available for the PocketPC, so it is not implemented. GapiDraw uses template expansion to provide optimized loops, which produces code that is MUCH faster than plain C, and without all the errors you would have writing 40 blitloops of every function in ASM. All expanded loops have however been analyzed by reading through the ASM output on both x86 and PPC platforms to scan for possible compiler misses.

If you want to know how this technique works you may check PocketFrog which was the first library I am aware of to utilize this technique (which is a really clever solution by Thierry).

Performance-wise I would safely say that PocketFrog and GapiDraw are equally as fast. Using them is however very different (PocketFrog uses rasterizers that have to be "configured" with alpha settings etc, GapiDraw uses struct pointers in most functions), and I guess it's mostly a matter of personal taste what you prefer. Both solutions require a bit of extra overhead to every operation, either setting parameters for the rasterizer or creating a struct with parameters.

Compared to other libraries (EasyCE and PocketC), both PocketFrog and GapiDraw are much faster. I cannot comment on Overloaded since I haven´t checked it out (mainly because it´s only for developing Overloaded games), but EasyCE2 is not optimized.

Using GapiDraw for commercial games development is free as long as you notify us. Please have a look at 1.03 due out tomorrow (I´ve been saying tomorrow too many times now I guess), but it will really make a difference in development speed.

/Johan
Johan
pm Member

Postby efortier » Jul 12, 2002 @ 6:31am

efortier
pm Insider

Return to GapiDraw

Sort

Forum Description

The Cross-platform Graphics SDK for Palms, Pocket PCs, Symbian Devices, and Stationary PCs.

Moderators:

sponge, Johan

Forum permissions