This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

SRAND( ) / RAND( ) issue

Postby Johan » Oct 12, 2002 @ 10:52am

No need to apologize.. I never get much comments regarding the design of GapiDraw anyways, so it was very welcome!

The main reason threads are there is for the game to run nice when windowed on Stationary PCs (a case where you also would use threads). While this may not be critical to many, to me it was so simply because I use GapiDraw myself to develop multiplayer games. Pausing the games on all peers because one guy moved the window was not an option.

GapiDraw will from the next version no longer be released as a "pure" PocketPC/Smartphone library. It will be released to compete with Stationary SDKs like libSDL and Clanlib. Performance of the next version will simply be the best in the industry (on Stationary PCs). Many people are today using it to create only Stationary Apps, and while it may be a little more cumbersome if you only want to create a PocketPC target, it greatly simplifies work to have one library that runs hardware-accelerated in a window AND on the PocketPC using just one code base. If it works on the desktop you are almost guaranteed that it works on the PocketPC (if you avoid mem%4 DWORD storage etc which are errors not related to the game sdk but the device itself).

My 30 students who began this autumn had no problems with using the two threads. Not a single error in so far over 40 applications created by the students were related to this. Also, all students recompiled their games for the PocketPCs AFTER they had finished developing the windowed PC version. Not a problem so far. While threads may complicate things a little bit, game development today is still far much easier than it was back in the eighties (I mean, if students can create cross-platform games such as this from scratch in one week then there really is no issue: http://www.gapidraw.com/mobile/lab2.html ) Please do download the game and try it out.. Development time: less that 5 working days... :)
Johan
pm Member

Postby Johan » Oct 12, 2002 @ 11:20am

ppcstudios: Since I wasn't aware that srand was set on a per-thread basis (I thought it was per-process), I am thinking of "moving" InitInstance and CreateSurfaces so they are called by the same thread as ProcessNextFrame in the next GapiDraw. I think this would help with other systems such as sound as well...

Nice work on your developer pages!
Johan
pm Member

Postby Pejo Software - Per » Oct 14, 2002 @ 9:57pm

Pejo Software - Per
pm Insider

Previous

Return to GapiDraw

Sort

Forum Description

The Cross-platform Graphics SDK for Palms, Pocket PCs, Symbian Devices, and Stationary PCs.

Moderators:

sponge, Johan

Forum permissions