This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

eVC++ and GAPIDraw

eVC++ and GAPIDraw

Postby Lazarus » Sep 30, 2002 @ 1:39pm

Hi all,

Ok, I want to ask everyone a question and it's one that everyone must have at least been asked a few times...

You see, I'm very much into building games for PC's, but I've always used VB or BASIC like languages to build them. What I would like to do now, is to move to creating games for PocketPC as this market needs many more games written, but I'd like to do it using GAPIDraw. Now, I know what you're thinking. To do this, I'm going to have to use eVC++, and I have no problem with this. I know a good 15 or so languages, all be it most are high level, and I'm sure I could get into eVC++ quickly, but I need to know the best way into this. I already understand the concept of pointers, polymorphism, inheritance, blah blah blah, I just need a good solid book or something by my side that can tell me how to put it all together.

Does anyone have an answer?

I was thinking of buying a book on VC++ and them moving onto eVC++ from there, but is that the best option???

Thanks,
+ LaZaRuS +
===========

;) On a mission to develop ;)
Lazarus
pm Member

eVC++ and GAPIDraw

Postby Mr.Prayer » Sep 30, 2002 @ 7:13pm

Mr.Prayer
pm Member

Books to buy ?

Postby Conan » Sep 30, 2002 @ 8:15pm

Most of the Visual C++ books spend too much time explaining the environment & using the visual elements when in fact what you really need to know about is how classes work and the syntax of functions.

I bought Programming Microsoft Windows CE by Douglas Boling and it's ok but again drells on regular Windows tuff too much which as a games developer you don't use much.

A word of caution. I set aside 3 months to learn C++ having come from a professional programming background including lots of game programming and it took me 15 months to get really comfortable with C++
What is Best in Life ?
Conan
pm Member

Postby Lazarus » Oct 1, 2002 @ 10:08am

+ LaZaRuS +
===========

Lazarus
pm Member

getting going

Postby Conan » Oct 1, 2002 @ 12:08pm

What is Best in Life ?
Conan
pm Member

Postby iceboxman » Oct 2, 2002 @ 1:05am

iceboxman
pm Member

Postby ppcStudios » Oct 2, 2002 @ 4:15am

ppcStudios
pm Insider

Postby Lazarus » Oct 2, 2002 @ 10:02am

It's ironic that you all should mention this. I got so far as chapter 5 in the SAMS book and then realized that the damn thing had nothing left to offer me... It just went on more about how to use the native ActiveX controls. I started tinkering around with the simple example supplied with GAPIDraw, and with some chewing and ahhhing, worked out exactly what was going on and why (though I would like to ask what HRESULT is and TCHAR & DWORD. Well, I know they are variable types, but I don't exactly know things like the bytes they take up or their uses and limitations. Also, this Blit thing is a bit new to me... Though I do know that it's graphic based.

I guess I'll just have to keep tinkering with the info I have gleaned and see what I can accomplish.

On a requestful note... Is anyone out there willing to offer me any sample code on how to use a sprite in relation to stylus/button movement (ie to learn how to cycle the sprites frames etc.)???

Thanks again guys. You've all helped me alot - especially with the enthusiasm. :D
+ LaZaRuS +
===========

Lazarus
pm Member

Postby ppcStudios » Oct 2, 2002 @ 12:09pm

The sprite code in Harbour's book is pretty good for a starting point. I definately recommend getting the book to help understand the basics of the pocketpc. Other than that, there are several good websites that provide pocketpc programming tips.

-- GR
ppcStudios
pm Insider

Sprite sample

Postby Conan » Oct 2, 2002 @ 1:08pm

What is Best in Life ?
Conan
pm Member

Postby esw » Oct 3, 2002 @ 12:17am

I'm learning C++ right now too, and I want to eventually make a game with GAPIdraw. I'm reading the book C++: How to program by Deitel & Deitel. It looks like a good book, my brother borrowed it from a friend who is a master programmer ;)

It doens't have any crap about how to use IDEs or windows programming. Just console programs. I think that's the best way to learn a language though, you can focus on learning the LANGUAGE, not learning to use a window toolkit or an ide. Once you have a good understanding of the language other stuff should come easily...
esw
pm Member

Postby Lazarus » Oct 3, 2002 @ 10:32am

Thanks for that.

I've already read a book on C++ programming but it was a little old. It did explain all about structures and bit operators etc. though, so it wasn't a total loss. What I'll probably do is learn how to use the visual C++ IDE and then push to buying more books on actual coding practices and the like.
+ LaZaRuS +
===========

Lazarus
pm Member

Postby MadcapMac » Oct 3, 2002 @ 4:43pm

MadcapMac

Windows specific stuff

Postby Guest » Oct 4, 2002 @ 4:59am

Postby Hosed » Oct 4, 2002 @ 5:20am

L. L. Goodwin<BR>Purveyor of Code<BR><A href="http://www.planettribes.com/hosed/">Hosed's House of Code</A>
Hosed
pm Member

Next

Return to GapiDraw

Sort

Forum Description

The Cross-platform Graphics SDK for Palms, Pocket PCs, Symbian Devices, and Stationary PCs.

Moderators:

sponge, Johan

Forum permissions