This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

VBlank synchronisation/High frame rates?

VBlank synchronisation/High frame rates?

Postby bluescrn » Nov 10, 2002 @ 10:30pm

I'm working on a scrolling system (which will hopefully become a game), and my target frame rate is 60fps (at least on a 206Mhz iPaq, rendering a 240x240 area).

Early tests make that look very possible. (So why do most games, even simple ones, run at 30 or less?)

My screen scrolls very smoothly, but some quite nasty vertical tearing is occuring :(

Is there any way to sync the screen flips with the vertical blank? Surely there is a vertical blank (there is on the GBA...) - Is there any way to wait for it?

(even nasty, hardware-specific hacks would be useful?)

Dave
bluescrn

Postby Johan » Nov 10, 2002 @ 10:36pm

Sorry, there's no way to do it. Not even by hacking.
Johan
pm Member

Postby Guest » Nov 10, 2002 @ 10:43pm

That's a bit disappointing to hear :(

Anyway, I'm hoping that with proper graphics, the tearing won't look too obvious... it's very noticable with one repeating 16x16 tile...

Postby efortier » Nov 11, 2002 @ 7:39pm

Hi bluescrn,

I would be curious to know what kind of screen activity you have in order to get 60 FPS.

Do you blit your 240x240 screen in smaller part?

I have a 240x320 render area, to which I blit tiles of 32x32, and the best FPS I get is 45, and that is using tricks like several rendering threads, etc.

When I start my sound mixer, the FPS drop by about 4-5.

Thanks...
efortier
pm Insider

Return to GapiDraw

Sort

Forum Description

The Cross-platform Graphics SDK for Palms, Pocket PCs, Symbian Devices, and Stationary PCs.

Moderators:

sponge, Johan

Forum permissions