This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

fps at Interstellar flames?

fps at Interstellar flames?

Postby chrissikurz@web.de » Dec 28, 2002 @ 5:22am

How can i get the framerate of my interstellarflames?
is it a 2d or 3d engine?
or ray cating??
i am confused at all....
PDA:Yakumo PDA delta:
wm2003....(updateted with the viewsonic
v35 update ;-) )
300mhz proc....
now 12.3fps in quake1 (without opti)
chrissikurz@web.de
pm Member

Postby eminefes » Dec 28, 2002 @ 6:56am

It's a 3D engine and there isn't a way to display the fps.
eminefes
pm Insider

Postby » Dec 28, 2002 @ 7:05am

2d graphics consist of sprites/bitmaps (i.e the type of artwork drawn in MS Paint, etc)

3d graphics consist of polygons (i.e 3d meshes made using a modelling package like 3D Studio)

There are games that give the illusion of true 3d by faking certain aspects. An example of this is Metalion by Ziosoft, which simply scales 2d bitmaps to give the illusion of 3d environment.

Raycasting engines simulate a 3d environment, but suffer many limitations as they are not true 3d (walls only at 90 degrees, no up/down look, 1 floor/ceiling height, etc).

Other not-quite-3d engines exist also, e.g Doom & Diesel FPS demo, and have their own limitations (no floor above another, no true up/down look, etc). Although still not 3d, they are more capable than raycasters. Other variations exist also e.g Duke3D

Interstellar Flames is a true 3d game. There is no fps counter, but why do you even need to know the framerate? There's been a growing number of posts about framerates in games, which can be a bit misleading imo. Framerates don't neccesarily dictate how fast/smooth/playable a game is. Personally I believe that a developer shouldn't include fps counters in games, instead letting consumers judge performance by the game itself rather than staring at a fps counter. If Interstellar Flames is fast and playable, would it make a difference if it ran at 5fps or 40fps?
Xen Games

Postby chrissikurz@web.de » Dec 28, 2002 @ 3:14pm

PDA:Yakumo PDA delta:
wm2003....(updateted with the viewsonic
v35 update ;-) )
300mhz proc....
now 12.3fps in quake1 (without opti)
chrissikurz@web.de
pm Member

Postby sponge » Dec 28, 2002 @ 10:29pm

holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

Postby » Dec 28, 2002 @ 11:34pm

Xen Games

Postby sponge » Dec 29, 2002 @ 5:32am

Really? I guess I'm thinking on even more inferior hardware. Come to think of it, it was the Palm FPSs in which adding an FPS counter would adversly effect performance. Figures :P

Yea, you'll also have those people who do what you mention, but I think it's not a problem for any informed people, and allows a lot more than guessing in the dark about which device is the fastest/bestest :P
holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

Return to Xen Games

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss the popular Xen Games titles, such as Interstellar Flames and Strategic Assault here.

Moderators:

sponge, simonjacobs

Forum permissions