This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

WooHoo

WooHoo

Postby ShALLaX » Feb 12, 2002 @ 8:32pm

I managed to buy DEXplor FINALLY through pocket gear!! Im waitin on my registration key (6 hours max wait BOO!) heheh. I cant wait to get this installed :)
ShALLaX
pm Member

Postby ShALLaX » Feb 12, 2002 @ 8:42pm

hehe Wow, that was actually quite quick... One question tho, i have to email my ID to get a product registration. What happens if i hard reset my pocket pc... will this ID change and will i need a new registration code.. if so how will i get this?
ShALLaX
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Feb 12, 2002 @ 8:57pm

If you perform a full backup (including the registry) after installing the Registration Key, then you can restore DEXplor after a hard reset. For people owning Compaq iPaqs, their key is permanent, because those devices each have a unique electronic serial number.

Thanks for registering!

Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby ShALLaX » Feb 12, 2002 @ 10:20pm

ShALLaX
pm Member

Postby Robotbeat » Feb 12, 2002 @ 11:37pm

Yes, but, Shallax, what if people want to install the game without ActiveSync or even without a computer? Dan lets you do this right now. He lets you download the CAB files directly from the website. I do this because I hate ActiveSync. ActiveSync is too slow and I have a small hard drive on my PC. USB CF card readers are much faster and you don't have to have ActiveSync powered up or wanting to sync stuff.

BTW, you'll never be able to stop a determined cracker completely (notice that I did not say hacker or haX0r). You can just make it a lot harder to crack something and buggy when it is cracked, but that is only practical up to a point. Besides, everyone likes Dan so probably like two people would want to pirate Dex-plore and not want to eventually pay for it (or delete it).
Die, Palm, Die. If that offended you, then get rid of your Palm OS device.
Robotbeat
pm Member

Postby ShALLaX » Feb 13, 2002 @ 1:05am

I know, but still its a really big inconvenience, i hard reset a lot, i format my PC a lot and dont have a CF card .. all i can do is burn stuff to CDR, but if my code changes all the time, ill have to keep emailing for new once which im sure will just annoy Dan loads :(... I really really like this product but i feel the registration leaves much to be desired. And you say if crackers will crack it no matter what, then why bother putting such strict registration methods into it. It should just be an individual key per person MAYBE a seperate key per processor/pocket pc type (i.e. compaq codes are not interchangeable with HP or Casio etc...)
ShALLaX
pm Member

Postby Guest » Feb 13, 2002 @ 3:19am

I'm with you shALLaX. I would like a better method of installing if (when) you have to do a hard reset. As far as backing up your PDA goes, that's OK. But what happens if you want to start with a clean version? And what happens if Dan is abducted by aliens?

Having griped, I have to admit that Dan has been incredibly responsive to any requests I have had. And, its my favorite utility - a must have.

AlphaWolf

Return to DEXplor

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss this new File Management app by Dan East.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge

Forum permissions