This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

DEXZip Plugin 1.21 Public Beta

DEXZip Plugin 1.21 Public Beta

Postby Dan East » Mar 10, 2002 @ 1:40am

I'm releasing version 1.21 of the Zip Plugin as a public beta. This adds full Password / Encryption support for accessing or adding files to zips. It also fixes a bug when Drag / Drop is used to move files out of a zip (not copy, but move).

A few notes. First off, there's a really crude, temporary icon that indicates password protected files within the zip. Just ignore its hideousness. :)

Now regarding the passwords. DEXplor keeps track of a "current" password for each zip file you have worked with. This is a unique issue to DEXplor since it is possible to have multiple Zip files open at one time. So there isn't a global password for use with all zips, but a list of passwords that is associated with specific zip files. These passwords are only set by one of two occurances:
1 - You sucessfully supply a valid password to extract a protected file from a zip. That password is then the current password for that entire zip.

2 - You specify a password when adding a file to the zip.

The current password is used for two things:
1 - It is automatically used to try to unlock any protected files in that zip. So if all the files in the zip are protected with the same password, you will only have to provide the password one time for that session of DEXplor to access all the files in that zip.

2 - It is the default password to be used when adding a new file to a zip. Note that if you uncheck the "Password Protect" box when adding a file to a zip, the current password is cleared. There will no longer be a current password associated with that zip file. Some zip software will just use the current password to protect all files added to the zip without asking. I let the user specify whether or not they want to use the password, since I already ask about the paths when adding files.

A few additional comments. The Zip format allows for files within the zip to be protected by different passwords. You could have a Zip that contains 4 files, each requiring a different password. If the current password will not unlock a file then DEXplor will ask you for the password. Other Zip software I've tried would just give you an error in that case. If you provide a bad password while attempting to access a file in a zip it will NOT be set as the current password. The version of WinZip I'm using does that, and it could be a very bad thing (because you never verify the password, and any other files you add to the zip would be encrypted with that password).

Now for the download and installation. I am not including an installer for this beta because there is just a single file that needs to be copied to your Pocket PC. Download the appropriate version from the list below, then copy the DEXZip.dxp file to the \Program Files\DEXplor\Plugins directory on your Pocket PC. I suggest renaming the original DEXZip.dxp to something else first so you can restore it if you want.

Downloads:

Of course you are using the beta plugin at your own risk. Please post any problems, suggestions or feedback to this thread.

Thanks!

Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby PepeGG » Mar 21, 2002 @ 7:04pm

About the password feature I haven't tried it, but I have found two annoying bugs / lack of functionality in the zip plug-in:
- The Add with Relative Path doesn't seem to work (no password used)
- The Select Functionality isn't available inside zip files. This is not a bug but is greatly annoying
<!--The Sourcerer-->
PepeGG
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Mar 21, 2002 @ 11:16pm

Dan East
Site Admin

Postby PepeGG » Mar 26, 2002 @ 6:17pm

Bug spotted 8O !!

Zip files inside zip files not supported

that's a bastard one eh?
<!--The Sourcerer-->
PepeGG
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Mar 27, 2002 @ 2:29am

Yeah, that's a known limitation at this time. You also can't drag files from one zip to another or within the same zip at the moment. I will have the latter rectified shortly. I could do a simple hack to move from one zip to another (extract to a temp file, then add/compress it into the next zip), but a much better solution exists that would require no recompression of the data. So that's what I'm holding out for.

Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Return to DEXplor

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss this new File Management app by Dan East.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge

Forum permissions