This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Plasma, LCD or DLP ?

Plasma, LCD or DLP ?

Postby DNFjoe » Sep 26, 2006 @ 12:45pm

Hey all,

I will be purchasing a big screen (42"+) HDTV in 6-9 months when the home addition is complete.

I like them all but think I am leaning towards the DLP types for the cost (I could get a 46" for the cost of a 42" wall mount unit). Anyone have opinions or experiences with the 3 different technologies?

I am leaning towards the 1080p but might settle for the 720p (the money saved is good enough for the Xbox 360 or PS3 purchase).

I will NOT be wall mounting the unit.

Joe
If it is not worth trying it is not worth doing.
DNFjoe
pm Member

Postby RedruM » Oct 23, 2006 @ 12:28am

I just bought a westinghouse 42" lcd hdtv/monitor (best deal out there for true 1080p by far), its got 1080p at 8ms, its a pretty sweet monitor but I dont like it for playing games like Counter Strike seriously, seems 8ms is still too slow for my likings. I say if your looking to use it for PC use I would go 1080P. Anything else like movies or TV 720P should be fine, 1080P video is really only noticable on +50" tvs, I'd say at +60" is where you'd really need 1080P. LCDs/Plasmas spacewise are the best and are the best looking, I dident go dlp or plasma because for PC use I dident want to risk burn in, I also dont like the plasmas much because they lose their brightness over time, and dlp is too big/heavy. But both are cheaper solutions and have better black levels. So it all depends what you plan to do with the screen.

Interesting, this threads a month old... o well.
RedruM
pm Member

Postby DNFjoe » Oct 31, 2006 @ 6:03pm

Redrum,

Thanks for the reply. I figured there were some folks here that would have some experience with the different technologies, and could share their knowledge. I got a decent response on a scooter site.

I see not all tvs advertise the quickness in ms. I've seen 8ms on a few and I believe 6ms on others. The PC use is a second thought since the wife and I do like computer games more than console games, and if we have the cash will probably get a new PC for our computer room (or PS3 for the new TV) while the other of us gets the TV as entertainment waiting for our turn.

How did you narrow down your choice to the westinghouse 42" lcd?

Thanks again for the response, Joe
DNFjoe
pm Member

Postby Miracle » Oct 31, 2006 @ 10:57pm

Miracle
pm Insider

Postby DNFjoe » Nov 1, 2006 @ 1:58pm

Miracle,

I've seen some displays look great in one store and suck in another, I guess some folks "see" differences that they believe they see and others can see differences, everyone's vision and brain processing is a bit different.

I am looking for folks that either like what they have and why or folks that wish they bought something other than what they bought and why.

I guess as for the speed 8ms or less, it is like in computers, faster is better. Some folks need it or want it while others don't see the difference or care. If my wife and I drop 2 grand on a TV we don't want regrets.

Joe
DNFjoe
pm Member

Return to Technology Discussion

Sort

Forum Description

Discussion on technology that isn't related to mobile devices.

Moderator:

Kevin Gelso

Forum permissions