This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Real-time Capture - Animated GIFs

Real-time Capture - Animated GIFs

Postby Bapdude » Aug 5, 2005 @ 12:41am

I've seen several animated-GIF screenshots that show a real-time capture of a game being played. How is this done? I don't think it's practical to try to take a screen capture every second or so to build up the frames.

Also, in the animated GIFs, I never see the Windows "mouse-arrow" in the captured image (this would be visible if they were capturing images directly from the PPC emulator).

Does anyone know how this is done?

Thanks! :D
Bapdude
pm Member

Postby StephC » Aug 5, 2005 @ 3:18am

I'll tell you how we do it at int13.

We have a built-in video capture utility in our framework lib (uEngine), this one can dump a serie of .tga or a raw (uncompressed) avi file at 30FPS.

The main advantage is that, even if the game slowdown during the capture the video is always perfectly smooth, because it's sync with the game frame rate.

The captures are done with the win32 build of course :)
Stephane Cocquereaumont / Game Developer at <a href=http://int13.net>int13 production</a> (code monkey)
StephC
pm Insider

Postby warmi » Aug 5, 2005 @ 4:30pm

Or just simply get yourself an app that can record window activity and run it on your Win32 build of the game.
warmi
pm Insider

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions