This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

WM5 common CAB format

WM5 common CAB format

Postby mm40 » May 15, 2007 @ 9:54pm

from http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms839548.aspx
Pocket PC and Smartphone Share A Common CAB Format
Windows Mobile 5.0 software for Pocket PCs and Smartphones now share a common CAB format. Sharing a common CAB file format notably reduces the time required to create CAB files and to support the installation process because all device installations are handled through a single CAB.

I have several questions about this:
1) Do you need to have Visual Studio 2005 to build this CAB file?
2) Is the CAB file compatible with older OSes such as WM2003, WM2002, WM2000, SP2003?
3) Is the CAB file actually smaller or is it just a combination of 2 totally different installers?
mm40
pm Member

Postby David Horn » May 16, 2007 @ 1:35am

1) Probably, since VS creates the inf file for you now.
2) Pass.
3) Yes, I think it's one single installer. Fundamentally, the platforms are pretty much identical - I think it was actually the Smartphone that moved to controlling app installation on the device rather than through Activesync.
Crosswind technique: "Using your peripheral vision, react to body movements, gasps, groans, and shouts from the other side of the cockpit, and always remember that it's better to be lucky than good."
David Horn
<b>The Boss</b>

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions