This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Delete files from ROM

Delete files from ROM

Postby hockeydude » Jul 6, 2008 @ 3:06pm

Before I start, I am very much aware that ROM means read-only and therefore writing to or deleting from it should be impossible. With that said, I'm wondering if any of you know a way around the impossible? :-) I'm trying to figure out some way to delete welcome.exe from my Audiovox Maestro's ROM. My reason being that I'm trying to use the device in my car, and the battery is dead. The device runs only when plugged in, so naturally every time it is unplugged, it hard resets. This is a pain because now every time I start the device, I have to calibrate it and go through the whole welcome sequence. If I could somehow remove or override this permanently, I would be incredibly happy.

Thanks for any help!
[url]http://snails.pocketmatrix.com[/url] The Snails Level Depot...For All your Snails Level Needs!
hockeydude
pm Insider

Postby ktemkin » Jul 24, 2008 @ 5:15am

Unfortunately, the Welcome.exe is part of the Operating System ROM and not the extended ROM- thus, deleting it in and of itself is not possible without a custom ROM.
ktemkin
pm Member

Postby hockeydude » Jul 27, 2008 @ 2:17am

Yeah, I figured. I did manage to place a file on my SD card named "welcome.not" which cancels the welcome.exe file upon startup, however now the problem is that my screen is horribly calibrated (go figure :evil: ) to the point that I cannot even use it. So, this kind of defeats the purpose I guess. Now my question changes to, can I load some sort of config file at startup from my SD card which will give the device proper calibration info?
[url]http://snails.pocketmatrix.com[/url] The Snails Level Depot...For All your Snails Level Needs!
hockeydude
pm Insider

Postby Kzinti » Jul 27, 2008 @ 7:18am

welcome.exe ?

=)
Kzinti
pm Member

Postby Digby » Jul 28, 2008 @ 7:58pm

That calibration info might be stored in the registry. You could dump the registry with and without running welcome.exe and note any differences, then write an small app that is run at start-up that writes those reg values without having to run welcome.exe.
Digby
pm Insider

Postby ktemkin » Aug 1, 2008 @ 3:50pm

I believe most models used the "HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\TOUCH" key to store calibration data- but I'm not sure if that holds true for all devices.

I'd suggest running the calibration once, and storing your registry values from that key as a .REG file. You could then launch it with the SD card's auto-run mechanism, if your device supports it.

Hope this helps.
ktemkin
pm Member

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions