This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Windows Mobile 7 Game Development

Windows Mobile 7 Game Development

Postby Dan East » Mar 16, 2010 @ 7:46am

Microsoft have just announced that game development targeting Windows Mobile 7 will be based on XNA or Silverlight.

Microsoft's App Store for Windows Mobile will be called "Windows Phone Marketplace" and will take a 30% commission of app sales.

More information in this .
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby refractor » Apr 15, 2010 @ 6:57pm

I was interested right up to the point where they said that there's no custom shader support, at which point I shook my head in disbelief and thought "not for me". I really don't see the point in making a "standard" hardware platform like that and then crippling it. :/ (Well I guess really they want to keep control, but it's a bit of a turn-off).
refractor
pm Insider

Postby Digby » Apr 15, 2010 @ 8:36pm

Yeah, that's lame but I'd imagine that they'll open that up later and you'll be able to use the full programmable pipeline of the GPU.

I wonder if it has something to do with the shader compiler running on the device? I recall that some OGLES 2.0 implementations have had some problems with this sort of thing.

What I'm more excited about is that here's a new platform that is generating buzz and currently has zero apps. I believe that there's money to be made here for the competent hobbyist developer even if you'll only have access to a canned set of shaders for now.
Digby
pm Insider

Re: Windows Mobile 7 Game Development

Postby Cardinal » May 16, 2010 @ 4:21am

Ya I'm really surprised that they plan on purposefully crippling those devices!

I've told all my MS friends just how dumb the person making the big decisions about this is. I WOULD FIGHT HIM! I WOULD!!
Cardinal
pm Member

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions