This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Windows Mobile 6.5 Development

Windows Mobile 6.5 Development

Postby Dan East » Apr 15, 2010 @ 11:36pm

A brief history...

Microsoft has flip-flopped on the Windows CE / Windows Mobile development tools a few times now. Originally, Windows CE 1.0 and 2.0 required Microsoft Visual C++ (5.0 or 6.0), which had to be purchased, then an additional add-on had to be purchased which integrated Windows CE development into that IDE.

With Pocket PC (CE 3.0) Microsoft released free, stand-alone IDEs - Microsoft eMbedded Visual C++ 3.0 then 4.0. IMO this was the best option, as it was free, and all-inclusive. Of course this greatly encouraged 3rd party developers to write software for the platform.

With Windows Mobile 6 Microsoft went full-circle. Developers have to purchase the standard version of Microsoft Visual Studio, which comes with the Windows Mobile SDKs already.

The reason I'm posting is I found the "cheapest" solution for developing for Windows Mobile 6.5. That is to purchase the older Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition for around $60. There are two service packs which makes it fully compatible with Windows Vista and Windows 7. With that toolset you can upgrade the Windows Mobile SDK all the way up to Windows Mobile 6.5.

For Windows Mobile 7 you have to use Visual Studio 2010, which is still only in RC state.

Note that MS has pulled all free downloads, and most references, to Visual Studio 2005 from their website, in an attempt to get developers to purchase the newer tools (which cost 10 times more).
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Digby » Apr 16, 2010 @ 1:11am

I thought the WP7 tools that you download from the MS website contained VS2010 Express edition (which is free)?

You'd think that they would want to get as many developers on board as quickly as possible and that usually means free (but possibly limited) tools.

I'm going to end up buy VS2010 anyway, but what I don't want is to have two versions of VS on my machine in order to develop mobile apps. Historically, MS has always had trouble with side-by-side installs of the same product on the same PC.

Does anyone know if you can develop WM 6.x apps with VS2010 Express?
Digby
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » Apr 16, 2010 @ 6:12am

Nice. Thanks Digby.
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby refractor » Apr 16, 2010 @ 9:00pm

The full VS2010 isn't yet compatible.

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/wpdev/
refractor
pm Insider

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions