This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

E3DSurface questions

E3DSurface questions

Postby mimispa » Dec 15, 2006 @ 2:43pm

Hi all

I'm in the end of my project and i decide to make small changes at some graphics of my project.
So i try the E3DSurface, but i have some questions.

1) What is the best way to calculate exactly the pixel of a 3d graphic (width, height) after render it with a specific way (I mean after rotate, scale)

2) When i try to make more complex and low polygon 3d graphic i saw that edge library don't draw it right when the object rotate. Big surfaces confused with other. For example i attach a low polygon 3d graphic. I try to rotate it with the sample project "View3D".

3) Is there any way to change colors of surfaces with no code; When i try to color a surface from a 3d model create application, the E3DSurface don't render the object of the 3d model. It render only objects with white color.

4) What graphic cost less memory? E2DSurface Image (for example 100Kb) or E3DSurface with vertex and surfaces (for example 50Kb)? I mean the E3DSurface store in memory only the information of vertex and surfaces or it creates in memory and other things like virtual E2Dsurface? I'm asking that for low memory machines, like phones.

5) Do you know any free 3ds viewer that it can display the id of surfaces? Because if i had to change color with code, then i must know the id of the surfaces.

Thanks for your help!

Have a good Christmas!!!
Attachments
SampleHouse.rar
It's a sample low polygon 3d model.
(1.47 KiB) Downloaded 492 times
mimispa
pm Member

Postby edge » Dec 18, 2006 @ 10:05am

EDGELIB: Cross-platform mobile development at your fingertips
http://www.edgelib.com
edge
pm Member

Postby mimispa » Dec 18, 2006 @ 1:02pm

Attachments
house.rar
Sample 3d model with red roof
(1.31 KiB) Downloaded 500 times
mimispa
pm Member

Postby edge » Dec 18, 2006 @ 1:46pm

Hi Mimispa,

1. Yes you're right. You can use this for your formula.

2. I can explain better by using your house model as an example. The floor polygons just below the house should stop when touching the walls. Right now it goes through to the other side. There are polygon fragments 'inside the model' which should be removed.

3D viewers may display this properly, because they sort and draw polygons per pixel using a depth buffer. Edge doesn't use a depth buffer, but draws polygons to increase performance.

3. We plan to improve our E3DSurface format for upcoming releases to handle .3DS files with multiple objects.
edge
pm Member

Postby mimispa » Dec 18, 2006 @ 2:30pm

Ok, now i understand and i can calculate the pixel of 3d model.
But what about the color? How can i color a surface without code and without make more objects?

Thanks for your help!
mimispa
pm Member

Postby edge » Dec 19, 2006 @ 4:12pm

Hi Mimispa,

Unfortunately this can't be easily solved with the current Edge release yet. The only solution would be to create a custom loader.

I recommend searching for a 3DS viewer that can show polygon ID's, and use the method we use in the View3D sample for coloring the Edge logo.
edge
pm Member

Return to EDGELIB

Sort

Forum Description

Powerful and affordable C++ middleware solution covering true multi-platform 2D, 3D and network features for Apple iPhone, Windows Mobile, Symbian S60, UIQ, Linux and Windows desktop.

Moderator:

edge

Forum permissions