This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

About Animate3D sample.

About Animate3D sample.

Postby meiline » Aug 2, 2007 @ 10:22am

I have a Pocket PC phone with NVIDIA GoForce 5500 GPU. I have installed the Animate3D demo but I have a question.

I have installed the install_powervr.ARMPPC2005.CAB and install_rasteroid.ARMPPC2003.CAB and both of them run ok, but a bit slow.

Then, I have installed install.ARMPPC2005.CAB and it runs very well.

What's the different between these examples?

I suppose using powerVR and rasteroid, they use OpenGL ES. And the other is with the internal render of Edege. Isn't it?

But how can be so slowly with rasteroid or powerVR and runs ok with the other?
meiline
pm Member

Postby edge » Aug 2, 2007 @ 11:56am

Hi Meiline,

The PowerVR sample should only be able to run if it can find PowerVR hardware (which is odd, because the GoForce doesn't seem like it could have PowerVR hardware). If the hardware isn't present, it should give an error like: 'can't find animate3d or one of its components'.

The Rasteroid sample uses software rendering and may run slower than the EDGELIB internal renderer because it uses a depth buffer, while the internal renderer only use polygon sorting. The advantage to polygon sorting is that it's faster, but the disadvantage is that it can have sorting bugs while rendering (because it doesn't know which polygon is closer to the screen in some cases).

The PowerVR sample should run fast on your device. Maybe you can try to remove it from the Cradle, or disconnect USB cables. We've noticed some slowdown while using PowerVR on our Dell Axim x50v Pocket PC while in the cradle.
EDGELIB: Cross-platform mobile development at your fingertips
http://www.edgelib.com
edge
pm Member

Postby meiline » Aug 3, 2007 @ 11:31am

Hi Edge,

Thanks for your answer.

So I think that I don't have anything to do if I want to use the depth buffer in my code. It is slower than the EDGELIB internal render.

Thanks again.

Meiline.
meiline
pm Member

Return to EDGELIB

Sort

Forum Description

Powerful and affordable C++ middleware solution covering true multi-platform 2D, 3D and network features for Apple iPhone, Windows Mobile, Symbian S60, UIQ, Linux and Windows desktop.

Moderator:

edge

Forum permissions