This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

EDGELIB SDK 3.10 released

EDGELIB SDK 3.10 released

Postby edge » Aug 20, 2007 @ 5:33pm

Elements Interactive B.V. releases version 3.10 of multi-platform mobile game engine EDGELIB. This new version introduces a completely redesigned framework, full support for windowed applications and the ability to "hot rotate" the display.

The renewed EDGELIB framework offers much more flexibility and stability "under the hood" and easier ways to add new supported platforms in future EDGELIB releases. The new framework requires only minimal API changes.

"It was necessary to redesign the internals of the framework to keep the source code maintainable and easier to port to the new platforms that are already waiting at the doorstep," says Johan Bos, senior developer at Elements Interactive. "In the upcoming releases we will be focused on adding support for more exciting platforms and operating systems to EDGELIB."

The inclusion of support for windowed applications makes integration of EDGELIB-built applications with the standard title and menu bars possible on Windows Mobile. New in the EDGELIB SDK is also the often requested "hot rotate" feature, the ability to rotate the display at run time.

Other improvements include the possibility of searching for custom Bluetooth service names, the writing of surfaces to the PNG image format, resizing of surfaces with optional resampling, UTF-8 string conversion functions, improved accuracy of Symbian timing and various other enhancements and bugfixes. A complete list of additions and bugfixes can be found in the release history at .

EDGELIB licensees are entitled to download and install the commercial version of the new EDGELIB SDK. An evaluation version can be downloaded for free as well.

The EDGELIB SDK supports the development of mobile applications and games for Windows Mobile Pocket PC, Windows Mobile Smartphone, Symbian Series 60, Series 80, Series 90, Symbian UIQ, Gamepark Holdings GP2X and Windows desktop. Key features include true multi-platform development, high-performance 2D graphics, hardware accelerated 3D graphics through OpenGL ES, RGBA surfaces and both Bluetooth and TCP/IP networking.

More information about EDGELIB can be found at .
EDGELIB: Cross-platform mobile development at your fingertips
http://www.edgelib.com
edge
pm Member

Postby Ryumaster » Aug 21, 2007 @ 1:20pm

I love postindustrial life.
Ryumaster
pm Member

Postby edge » Aug 21, 2007 @ 2:07pm

edge
pm Member

Postby Ryumaster » Aug 21, 2007 @ 9:36pm

Thanx, Edgelib!
Another issue is with SetCharacterSet.
Here what I get when using unicode chars (see attached picture). Those squares should be unichars, and as You can see, latin chars, numerals and symbols works fine.
Attachments
fonterror.rar
(45.84 KiB) Downloaded 536 times
Ryumaster
pm Member

Postby edge » Aug 23, 2007 @ 8:44am

Hi Ryumaster,

Perhaps the symbols aren't set correctly because the Visual Studio IDE might not support (all) unicode characters when specifying literal strings.

Would you like to try creating data files and use them to display unicode strings?
edge
pm Member

Postby Ryumaster » Aug 23, 2007 @ 5:15pm

I do not think it is IDE, analogical functions did work with other libs for me, but I'll figure out some solution for sure. Fox example, representing each uni char with latin char.
Ryumaster
pm Member

Postby Ryumaster » Aug 30, 2007 @ 12:33pm

Ryumaster
pm Member

Postby edge » Aug 30, 2007 @ 3:37pm

Hi Ryumaster,

I think the problem is caused by the signed character values. Because the WCHAR datatype is unsigned, the characters with negative values are becoming unsigned and are getting a high value.

Can you prevent from getting negative character values, and use unsigned values instead? Here a few examples:
-128 should be 128
-127 should be 129
-126 should be 130
etc.

Use this formula to convert each character: c = 256 + c
edge
pm Member

Postby Ryumaster » Aug 30, 2007 @ 6:18pm

Thank You, now I know what is happening and that will help me to solve this problem.
Ryumaster
pm Member

Postby Ryumaster » Aug 31, 2007 @ 7:27pm

Hi!
Maybe there is some upper value limit? Now I have cyrillic values of 1040-1090, but DrawFont function draws nothing. For example, I manually set
text[0] = 49 , so DrawFont will draws me "1", corresponding to SetFontCharacterSet table. But text[0] = 1040 draws nothing, and there is corresponding cyrillic symbol with that value in table.
I can not put all symbols I need in 0-128 corridor, but as far as I see, 128 is value limit, or I did something wrongly?

P.S. I can not convert by using "-126 + 128 should be 130"
, because -126 + 128 gives exactly the same value, it is cycling from -128 to 128.
Ryumaster
pm Member

Postby edge » Sep 3, 2007 @ 12:54pm

Hi Ryumaster,

Could you please attach a sample of your project? Then I'll be able to help you further with your unicode problem.
edge
pm Member

Postby Ryumaster » Sep 3, 2007 @ 3:24pm

Yes, gladly, because I can do nothing myself for a long time.

I've made sample based on Helloworld project for VS2005_PC.
Attachments
projectfiles.rar
(5.95 KiB) Downloaded 505 times
Ryumaster
pm Member

Postby edge » Sep 5, 2007 @ 7:47am

Hi Ryumaster,

We've found the cause of the issue and it's an EDGELIB bug. A bugfix will be added to the next release.

To temporary work around this bug we recommend using the DrawFontWrap function with a high width (like 65000 pixels). Also you can remove the SetFontCharacters() function in your source code and only use SetFontCharacterSet().
edge
pm Member

Postby Ryumaster » Sep 5, 2007 @ 11:22am

Ryumaster
pm Member

Postby edge » Sep 6, 2007 @ 9:10am

Hi Ryumaster,

We've solved some of the critical problems by changing a bit in our ClassESound wrapper class. These fixes will be added to the new release.

The only problems remaining in the sound system are that it doesn't resume after a call has ended. Also there seem to be some instability problems when using the dll on Windows XP/Vista systems. We've contacted the author of Hekkus about this, we're waiting for his reply.

*Update*
We've found the cause of the instability using the hss.dll file and fixed it for the next release. You can also fix the issue yourself by opening the edge/include/esound/hekkus.h file and removing the HSS_STATICLIB definition.
edge
pm Member

Next

Return to EDGELIB

Sort

Forum Description

Powerful and affordable C++ middleware solution covering true multi-platform 2D, 3D and network features for Apple iPhone, Windows Mobile, Symbian S60, UIQ, Linux and Windows desktop.

Moderator:

edge

Forum permissions