This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Compability

Compability

Postby yucani » Jan 14, 2008 @ 4:00pm

Hello,
thx for answering my first questions Edge.

Please check, if my point of views are correct.
1.As we would like to create an application compatible to all devices compatible, we should not use Carbide,EmbC or VC and there libraries to code.
2. All not suplied functions, like vector, lists, etc.. have to been coded on your own (using not standard delete and new ?).
yucani
pm Member

Postby edge » Jan 14, 2008 @ 6:48pm

Hi Yucani,

You should be able to use Carbide and Visual Studio without any problems. The libraries are compatible, even the EDGELIB builder itself call into some of these programs to compile your code.

We recommend taking care when using vectors and other functionality of STL or the standard library. There is often little or no support for these libraries on mobile platforms. However, you should be able to use new and delete without any problems (it's actually recommended when working with classes).
EDGELIB: Cross-platform mobile development at your fingertips
http://www.edgelib.com
edge
pm Member

>?

Postby yucani » Jan 14, 2008 @ 7:56pm

Hello,
but if use Carbide library/resources i will run into trouble generate this code on other platform devices with Visual C ?
if i should use standard new and delete, why EDGELib offers Dealloc and Alloc on his own?
yucani
pm Member

Postby edge » Jan 14, 2008 @ 8:58pm

Hi Yucani,

You typically have two or more workspaces for your target platform. One based on Carbide (for Symbian), and one based on Visual Studio (Windows Mobile or Desktop). It's recommended for those workspaces to share the same code base. Please refer to the EDGELIB samples folder (mainly the helloworld sample). Helloworld uses one code base, but has multiple workspaces.

Using new/delete or Alloc/Dealloc is a matter of preference actually. I usually call Alloc to allocate large arrays in memory. To create new class instances, I use the operator new and delete. Be sure not to mix these methods on the same pointer. For example, don't Deallocate a class instance you've used the new operator to create.
EDGELIB: Cross-platform mobile development at your fingertips
http://www.edgelib.com
edge
pm Member

Return to EDGELIB

Sort

Forum Description

Powerful and affordable C++ middleware solution covering true multi-platform 2D, 3D and network features for Apple iPhone, Windows Mobile, Symbian S60, UIQ, Linux and Windows desktop.

Moderator:

edge

Forum permissions