This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

FPS Questions

FPS Questions

Postby EarthWind » Jul 5, 2009 @ 11:56pm

Hi,

Just started programming with edgelib and testing it out in windows and on my iPod touch. I'm currently trying out the evaluation package.

I'm interested in programming games, but am curios about what kind of framerate I should expect. I know there are a lot of factors involved, so this is a rather broad question.

Anyways, I modified the the fountain project and removed all the particle code, display, update, etc... and just loaded a single JPG image the size of the display 320,480. I then blitted it once using bltfast and only cleared the screen area just under the fps display so I could still read it.

I got abot 40 to 50fps. Seems rather low for not really doing anything.

I also put the particle code back in and it at about 30fps.

These were run on my iPod touch, version 3.0.

I have heard of other more involved games running at 60 fps, but can't see that happening when just blitting an image once and then updating the fps display would cause it to drop to a low of 40fps at times.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me!
EarthWind
pm Member

Postby edge » Jul 6, 2009 @ 1:34pm

Hi,

We recommend using OpenGL ES on the iPhone, the other method has a big performance hit for just refreshing the display.

To use OpenGL ES:
- Define #EGL_USEGL before including EdgeMain.h (only define this once)
- Include/link OpenGL ES libraries and frameworks
- Use functions such as ClassEDisplay::BltFast instead of E2DSurface::BltFast (you can't use the backbuffer)
- For an OpenGL example, look at View3D delivered with the SDK
EDGELIB: Cross-platform mobile development at your fingertips
http://www.edgelib.com
edge
pm Member

Postby EarthWind » Jul 6, 2009 @ 5:45pm

Ok, thanks for the info. I got it working on the pc... But just can't seem to figure out which opengles sdk to download?

I was looking at the powerVR stuff at imagtec, but there are a lot of different version.

Thanks
EarthWind
pm Member

Postby EarthWind » Jul 6, 2009 @ 6:11pm

Ok, looks like I got it working.

It really didn't matter what sdk I think? Anyways, what I needed was all the header files.

Got them setup and linked properly in the project and it all worked. The actually opengles libs I guess are included with the iPhone SDK.

I think that's the way it all works anyways, first time doing iPhone stuff with opengles.

The app ran at the limit of 60fps with the 2 3d objects overlayed ontop of my image. I'm sure it would run faster than that, but there is no need 60 fps is nice and smooth.
EarthWind
pm Member

Postby edge » Jul 14, 2009 @ 10:31am

EDGELIB: Cross-platform mobile development at your fingertips
http://www.edgelib.com
edge
pm Member

Return to EDGELIB

Sort

Forum Description

Powerful and affordable C++ middleware solution covering true multi-platform 2D, 3D and network features for Apple iPhone, Windows Mobile, Symbian S60, UIQ, Linux and Windows desktop.

Moderator:

edge

Forum permissions