This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

iPHONE platform development clarification

iPHONE platform development clarification

Postby Don_Megga » Sep 5, 2009 @ 11:11pm

I am interesting in evaluating the edgelib game engine for the iPHONE platform. Is this some hybrid type of development? Some performed in Windows environment and some on Mac OS by transferring the installation files from the .exe bundle to your mac os station? There is no installation file for MacOS. Please clarify.

Any thoughts on edgelib versus unity3d or torque would be appreciated. I am at doing a lot of 3d rendering using opengl.

Thanks!
Don_Megga
pm Member

UPDATE: INSTALLED SAMPLES FROM INSTALLATION

Postby Don_Megga » Sep 7, 2009 @ 4:46am

I was able to install the some of the examples (Animate 3D and Multitouch) on my ipod touch. For some reason I could not get the simulator to work but I was more satisfied that the samples ported over to the physical device.

Don Megga
Don_Megga
pm Member

Postby edge » Sep 8, 2009 @ 6:09pm

Hi Don,

To answer your question: Most developers use the Windows platform to develop and test their EDGELIB-powered applications on. This saves you the hassle of (often) on-device testing: the app just runs on your Windows PC.

Testing on an actual iPhone/iPod, in your case, can be done by transferring your project (source files) to XCode on your Mac hardware and simply recompile and run the application on iPhone hardware (or simulator).

Unfortunately, all tools bundled with the EDGELIB SDK, like the EDGELIB Packer tool and EDGELIB Builder, are only available on the Windows platform (yet).

I hope this helps.

Wouter
EDGELIB: Cross-platform mobile development at your fingertips
http://www.edgelib.com
edge
pm Member

Return to EDGELIB

Sort

Forum Description

Powerful and affordable C++ middleware solution covering true multi-platform 2D, 3D and network features for Apple iPhone, Windows Mobile, Symbian S60, UIQ, Linux and Windows desktop.

Moderator:

edge

Forum permissions