This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

EDELIB versus Unity3D

EDELIB versus Unity3D

Postby Don_Megga » Sep 7, 2009 @ 4:51am

Is there anyone on this forum that has used Unity3d and has migrated to EDGELIB. I evaluated Unity3D but have decided to give EDGELIB a try. I really like the performance of Star Defense (NGMOCO). I plan to do a lot of mulitouch and camera work in the game.

All comments would be greatly appreciated. You can give pros and cons of doing a game like star defense on unity3d (or even torque 3d versus Edgelib.

Thanks,
Don Megga
Don_Megga
pm Member

Postby edge » Sep 8, 2009 @ 6:40pm

Hi Don Megga,

We're happy to hear you like the performance of Star Defense. It's built using EDGELIB which has great support for multitouch and changing the world orientation and perspective.

For multitouch, for example, you can access each touch easily by checking if it is active, and then get its position.

Another advantage is that Rough Cookie was able to develop most of the game on a Windows workstation. This has greatly increased their efficiency and decreased development time.
EDGELIB: Cross-platform mobile development at your fingertips
http://www.edgelib.com
edge
pm Member

Postby tinybulb.com » Sep 8, 2009 @ 9:53pm

Hello,

Can you share with us information about most complex scenes in StarDefence? How much polygons per scene in time of maximum load and what is average FPS at this moments? It will give me understanding about performance of edge in 3D.

With best regards,
NL
tinybulb.com
pm Member

Postby Don_Megga » Sep 9, 2009 @ 7:13am

Yes I would also like some benchmark data..

Don Megga
Don_Megga
pm Member

Postby edge » Sep 14, 2009 @ 8:37am

Hi,

Star Defense uses approx. 15000 to 20000 polygons in-game for a busy scene. It runs at 30fps on old generation iPods and phones.

Also keep texture limits in mind. Try to use 20MB or less memory for texture data.
edge
pm Member

Star Defense Character

Postby Don_Megga » Sep 14, 2009 @ 4:34pm

EDELIB TEAM... Thanks for the reply.

For the star defense creatures.. what do you think are their triangle and texture count. I would think small as there can be several of them at one time.

Maybe 400 triangles and 128 x128 texture..???

The Don Megga
Don_Megga
pm Member

Postby edge » Sep 15, 2009 @ 10:41am

Hi Don Megga,

A single creature would be around 300 triangles. For such small creatures a texture size of 64x64 pixels is recommended.

We also recommend using PVR compressed textures (they take less space in memory and load faster). A PVR conversion tool is delivered with the iPhone SDK or can be downloaded from powervr.
edge
pm Member

Return to EDGELIB

Sort

Forum Description

Powerful and affordable C++ middleware solution covering true multi-platform 2D, 3D and network features for Apple iPhone, Windows Mobile, Symbian S60, UIQ, Linux and Windows desktop.

Moderator:

edge

Forum permissions