This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Wishlist

Wishlist

Postby laughingkiwi » May 24, 2010 @ 12:58pm

Hi developers. I am currently porting a Win32 game to mobile devices. The sound, display and file subsystems will be manageed by EdgeLib. However there are a few things that I hope you can help me with since the current game has resources stored in its own virtual file system.

My wishlist:
1. Ability to CreateSurface based on a ClassEFile instance from the current file position. Currently, I need to load the image into memory then create an image from memory. This would be nice to have to save on memory usage.

2. Ability to WritePNG/WriteBMP to a ClassEFile instance from the current file position. It would also be good to able to get the entire BMP file data as a memory block so that I can pass it to wish #3. This is not a big issue since the save-game format does not contain images.

3. Methods on ClassEFile to decompress and compress ZLib data. The virtual file system mentioned above stores chunks of data using ZLib compression. I need to be able to read/write these chunks. This is the important wish, as I do need to read the resources.

At the moment in order to implement this I need to include the source for the zlib library. Since it appears that these are already part of EdgeLib, I am wondering if it is possible to expose some additional functionality from these libraries.
laughingkiwi
pm Member

Re: Wishlist

Postby laughingkiwi » May 26, 2010 @ 1:01am

Hi guys

I have discovered the ClassEMemory CompressZLib and UnCompressZLib function. That takes care of wish #3 as long as I load the data block into memory first.

Still, it would be nice to be able to stream these directly to/from a ClassEFile instance.
laughingkiwi
pm Member

Re: Wishlist

Postby edge » Jun 8, 2010 @ 5:18pm

Hi,

Currently the EDGELIB loaders load the complete file in memory (even when specifying a filename). It would be best to load the data from your virtual file class into memory and then pass it to EDGELIB. As a workaround for writing images, load the file back into memory and write it to your file system.
EDGELIB: Cross-platform mobile development at your fingertips
http://www.edgelib.com
edge
pm Member

Return to EDGELIB

Sort

Forum Description

Powerful and affordable C++ middleware solution covering true multi-platform 2D, 3D and network features for Apple iPhone, Windows Mobile, Symbian S60, UIQ, Linux and Windows desktop.

Moderator:

edge

Forum permissions