This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Descent development

Re: Descent development

Postby CARPEDIEM » Sep 16, 2001 @ 9:40am

Try doing a search for "Abandonware", like Descent Abandonware.<br><br>These abandonware thing is almost legal since no company bothers to complain about their Very old games being distributed.<br>
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby bartdesign » Sep 16, 2001 @ 9:48am

I've found i site that has descent as abandonware. Here is the link:<br><br>http://selvacamaleon.metropoli2000.com/<br><br>Then you choose Abandonware and choose the Arcade/Action link then in the list right you can choose descent. It's the full version and is about 7 mb.<br><br>BjB
bartdesign

Postby Blade » Sep 16, 2001 @ 11:38am

Got the same problem like shapeshifter :(
Blade

Postby Klesk » Sep 16, 2001 @ 12:36pm

i have the demo files copied, got the same error as shapeshifter<br><br>expecting 621 strings, found 514
Klesk

Postby Klesk » Sep 16, 2001 @ 12:38pm

and plz make a version that i can put on my storage card, i have an em-500, you know, only 16 megs ram... :(
Klesk

Postby suchiaruzu » Sep 16, 2001 @ 12:51pm

EM-500ers suck
<div align="center">Image<br></div>
suchiaruzu
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Sep 16, 2001 @ 1:40pm

since i have version 1.4 full version. when i run it it says cannot find descent.tex or descent.txb.. Help :(
Moose or Chuck

Postby suchiaruzu » Sep 16, 2001 @ 4:58pm

Ah, I had this problem, too. I think I solved it by putting it to the main memory (for some reason...)
suchiaruzu
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Sep 16, 2001 @ 5:06pm

it twas in main memory :(
Moose or Chuck

Postby demi@n » Sep 16, 2001 @ 5:19pm

Shut up shapeshifter<br>EM500 rules<br>
demi@n

Postby suchiaruzu » Sep 16, 2001 @ 5:24pm

Yeah, 16 megs of RAM rule!<br>And who really want's a Microdrive or a CF Modem or anything? Shitty MultiMedia Cards are just enough!<br>And that freeeeeeeeeaky look...!
suchiaruzu
pm Insider

Postby suchiaruzu » Sep 16, 2001 @ 5:25pm

Why am I too lazy to post that many tildes?
suchiaruzu
pm Insider

Postby Orpe » Sep 16, 2001 @ 6:51pm

Hi again,<br><br>First of all, because of the problems people have<br>had, here's a binary that can be put in any directory (including on Storage Cards), just make sure to have it in the same directory as the other files. <br><br><br><br>The files in my Descent directory are:<br>DESCENT.PIG   4 920 305 bytes CRC = 0AB80428<br>DESCENT.HOG   6 856 701 bytes CRC = 3B0B1041<br>DESCENT.EXE   <br><br>The above CRCs are from WinZip...<br><br>Putting other Descent files in the directory is likely to create problems. So have ONLY the above files there. (When the program runs it creates a DESCENT.LOG but that's OK).<br><br>The executable now looks for the other files in the same directory it is run from, so that's how that works.<br><br>The files I know it works with are from the official 1.5 PC version of Descent (which I own...) Any other files are almost certain to NOT work. <br><br>If you have a version prior to 1.5 it should be possible to upgrade it to 1.5 using the patches here but I haven't tried that. (In fact I can't, because I only have the 1.5 files myself).<br><br>It would be interesting to know if someone actually got it running =)<br><br>Good luck!<br><br>/Roland
Orpe
pm Member

Postby esw » Sep 16, 2001 @ 7:42pm

I tried it on my E-125, using the data files from a site mentioned earlier in this discussion. It starts, but once I get to the menu, I cant do anything. None of the buttons have any effect, nor does tapping on the screen :(<br><br>The size of the data files I used matches the sizes of yours
esw
pm Member

Postby bernard » Sep 16, 2001 @ 11:12pm

Orpe<br><br>You mentioned that you read the key status direcly from memory to fix the Casio keyboard driver lag problem.  Could you post the code on how you access the keyboard directly on a Casio?  (Or provide a link to the info.)<br><br>thanks.
bernard

PreviousNext

Return to Phantom's Forum

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss any of Phantom's projects here (Operation Nutcracker, etc.)

Moderators:

sponge, RICoder, Phantom

Forum permissions