This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Sounds almost muted on iPod Touch but fine on iPhone

Sounds almost muted on iPod Touch but fine on iPhone

Postby j.edwards » May 4, 2010 @ 12:19am

Hi,

Good to see some life being injected back into the site. I have an issue with some of my sounds not working properly on an iPod Touch but working fine on an iPhone and the Simulator. I'm using OpenAL and it only happens with certain types of sounds. For instance, a bee buzzing wav appears to be almost muted, but sounds I've made with GarageBand (with software instruments) come through normally even on the Touch. They are all saved in the same format, channels etc. In fact just to be sure I converted them all to MP3 then resaved as wav in same format. And if I load the buzz sound for instance into GarageBand and add other sounds it still doesn't come through.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issue and knows what it could be?
j.edwards
pm Member

Re: Sounds almost muted on iPod Touch but fine on iPhone

Postby Dan East » May 4, 2010 @ 2:09am

Does it sound the same with both the headphones and internal speaker?

I use code derived from Stormy Productions' sound engine, which is a higher-level interface to OpenAL:
http://stormyprods.com/SoundEngine/

I've not had any problems with it, but I did tweak it to meet my needs. It might be worthwhile to take a look at their implementation.

Dan
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby j.edwards » May 4, 2010 @ 3:14am

Thanks Dan, will check out the lib you mentioned. On my iPhone it sounds same through headphones or speaker (works fine with both). Same on the Simulator.
j.edwards
pm Member

Postby Dan East » May 4, 2010 @ 6:37am

Are you sure it's not just a mechanical limitation? The iPhone has a speaker good enough for use as a speakerphone, whereas the iPod Touch's speaker is much quieter. That's why I asked about the headphones. Also, from what I've read the second generation iPod Touch has a better internal speaker than the first generation. I have a 2G, and it still doesn't compare to a real speaker, like in my HTC Touch Pro 2. Absolutely no comparison at all.

Dan
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby j.edwards » May 4, 2010 @ 6:44am

Hi Dan, I'm not sure what generation Touch I've got - had it for a while. It must be earlier one because I didn't even think it had an internal speaker - it only ever makes quite little beeps like you'd expect from a $2 watch. I have only been testing on the Touch with headphone, but that should (well at least I thought) always reproduce properly.
j.edwards
pm Member

Return to iPhone / iPad

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the iPhone / iPad platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions