This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

PPC Deathmatch Host Success! (yay) - fix attached

PPC Deathmatch Host Success! (yay) - fix attached

Postby Guest » Jul 26, 2005 @ 3:11am

Hi,

Short version:
PocketQuake can host network games. Attached is a patched version (ARM) and the modified source file.

Instructions: Download/copy to device/start new multiplayer/join the game from your desktop PC.

Long story:
In net_wins.c, the function WINS_CheckNewConnections(void), there is a call to the socket receive data function 'recvfrom' with the parameter MSG_PEEK (i.e. peek, but don't remove any data from the buffer).

This isn't supported on Windows CE/Mobile, and was silently failing. Incoming net data was never getting into the Quake internals.

I have replaced it with a call to ioctlsocket to read the quantity of available data instead.

Ack. It's 3am, and I've been tracing through Quake's networking internals for getting on for 5 hours - since I first sniffed the packets with Ethereal and found that the PPC wasn't making any attempt to answer client requests (Yay Ethereal for decoding the Quake protocol!) - but where was the incoming code that should answer?

Not surprisingly, the PPC hosting isn't incredibly fast (but then, this isn't the fastest PPC, so you might get better results). I haven't any way to try 2-PPCs.

Anyway, please test it. :)

[
ID Software: Thank you.
Dan East: Thank you.
Inventor of prinf-debugging: Thank you a lot.
]
Attachments
sfbPocketQuake-NetFix-ARM.zip
(241.36 KiB) Downloaded 3528 times

Postby sponge » Jul 26, 2005 @ 4:14am

It's posts like this that make me glad we haven't entirely disabled guest posts yet. Stickied.
holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

Postby awdark » Aug 17, 2005 @ 10:07pm

awdark
pm Member

Postby i love quake » Mar 28, 2006 @ 6:38pm

Hello

sorry for my ridiculous question but I am a rookie I got quake one week ago and I loved the game . Thank you Dan East !!!!!!!
can I host a game via bluetooth or wi-fi with my i-mate PDA2k (600mhz overclocked) ???

Thanks
i love quake

Postby tenjeangosi » May 28, 2006 @ 4:32pm

Hello,
I would like to point out that the attatchment does not work... Does anyone have a copy ofthe patch?
Thanks,
Joseph
Also, sorry for bumping the thread :( ...
tenjeangosi
pm Member

Postby turborl7 » Jul 11, 2006 @ 12:48am

Is this version the xscale optimized version or the original?
turborl7

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions