This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

One way to deter piracy of your game

One way to deter piracy of your game

Postby Chris Edwards » Jun 1, 2010 @ 7:35am

Chris Edwards
Founder
Chris Edwards
Site Co-Founder

Re: One way to deter piracy of your game

Postby Dan East » Jun 1, 2010 @ 1:41pm

I was just reading about that on Slashdot. Many years ago, in the late 80s, I had an Amiga 1000, and as a broke teen (I saved up every cent working at a grocery store just to buy my Amiga ) I would go to a friend's house and copy games from him. He in turn got them from some other guy, and who knows what his connections were. Anyway there were always viruses floating around. They would infect the bootloader of the floppy, and once booted would stay resident in the Amiga, then infect the next unprotected floppy that was inserted (which is why we always, always kept the read-only tab set on the disks). It was common knowledge that many of these viruses were written and disseminated by the software industry to punish those that pirated software.
Dan East
Site Admin

Return to General

Sort

Forum Description

General development discussion including business/marketing topics. Platform-specific discussion should be placed in the appropriate forum below.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions