This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

10 must have apps for WM

10 must have apps for WM

Postby jodimagio » Feb 21, 2009 @ 12:31pm

Hey guys, I ve been a heavy WM user for 5 years now, so I thought it was about time for me to become a more proactive contributor, and share some of my personal experience. For newbies, it’s not really easy to know where to start from. So I figured a short list of my 10 MUST HAVE software could help some. Some more experienced might also find it useful.

I have defined 10 categories, but with only 1 contender per category !
I have to admit I do have a strong bias in favor of finger friendly apps, as I really don’t like using the stylus.

KEYBOARD : : freeware
The default keyboard really sucks, that’s clear. I have tried many alternatives, and I’ve always come back to PocketCM Keyboard : it works well, especially if like myself, you don’t like T9 or other predictive stuff.

USER INTERFACE : : freeware
The biggest pain with WM in my opinion. Probably the main reason why the iPhon sells so well !
The main thing about PointUI is that is fully replaces WM interface, is fully finger friendly, and does not require the complex set up of other solutions such as iLauncher or SPB Mobile Shell

CALENDAR : : shareware
The default calendar has decent features, but its UI really sucks, as usual.
ThumbCal , makes you feel your screen is larger ! Information is nicely organised, always readable, and you really can do 100% with your thumb (or any other finger !). On top of this, you can also manage tasks. Really great.

CONTACTS : : freeware
No need to mention the default apps. PocketCM is really cool, and I keep wondering when they will go commercial. Probably never. And the community is very active.

PROFILE MANAGER : : shareware
Or the great unkown potential of WM... What’s a profile ?. It’s a set of personal settings : screen brightness, sound level, ringtone, auto shut off duration, wifi/tphone/blue tooth on or off... A profile manager allows you to predefine these profiles and easily switch between them. For instance; entering a meeting I mute the phone, lower brightness, switch wifi on. All in 1 click.

IMAGE VIEWER : : freeware
Simple sleek and intuitive. What else do you want when it’s free ?

MUSIC PLAYER : : freeware
From the same developer than S2V. Same qualities. The only thing I’m struggling with is the get the cover pictures from my iTunes...

NEWS READER : : freeware (création de compte nécessaire)
I don’t like RSS feeds, it never works for me (I usually get only the titale...)
Avantgo formats the content perfectly, andallows you to read off-line. The only drawback is that the content scope is limited. Génial. Par contre le contenu proposé est limité...

WEB BROWSER : : freeware
As usual the default app is useless. And this one is great Zoom with a double click, very fast, just great.

GPS : : shareware (except if you go to illegal sites...)
Only if you have a gps of course... Still the best for me, but the competition has gone a long way too

jodimagio
pm Member

Return to Product Announcements & Discounts

Forum Description

Product news, announcements, and discounts can be posted here.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Kevin Gelso, RICoder, Chris Edwards

Forum permissions