This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

What The F?

Postby NYIllustrator » Dec 5, 2005 @ 12:36am

Smarthpnes are where its at. The PPC market is dead.

NYIllustrator
pm Insider

Postby Miracle » Dec 5, 2005 @ 10:16am

Miracle
pm Insider

Postby Chris Edwards » Dec 5, 2005 @ 5:08pm

Bah, they're kickass.

SP5 Smartphone has wifi. If you have a wifi network at Uni, you could be on MSN during class all the time without having it go against your data plan. Too bad it doesn't do voip/skype, that'd be perfect.

The navigation on a Smartphone is so much more intuitive than a Pocket PC.

We've always had a cool community here at PM, it'd suck to see everyone leave. Everyone seems to just be growing up. I know I don't spend nearly as much time at a computer as I used to.
Chris Edwards
Founder
Chris Edwards
Site Co-Founder

Postby Mechcommander » Dec 5, 2005 @ 5:47pm

I just lurk these days.
Mechcommander
pm Insider

Postby Presto » Dec 5, 2005 @ 7:25pm

I still read the PM forums daily. I used to just check the developer forums, since they're the best, but now there's so little to read I look at the Anything discussion too... I just usually don't post in it much, since inciting flame wars and discussing politics aren't things I typically do. :)

I still haven't tried a smartphone yet. I don't think I'd like not having the stylus. Isn't navigating web pages somewhat difficult without a stylus? And you have to type everything using the keys, right? So if you want to type your name, you have to press buttons a few times for each letter, just like with normal phone usage. How are the controls when playing games, anyway?

I find it hard to imagine that Smartphones would ever replace PPCs. Isn't it more likely that more and more PPCs will get the phone capabilities built into them? They just need to do something about the sorry battery life of PPCs.

-John
Presto
pm Insider

Postby David Horn » Dec 5, 2005 @ 8:57pm

If you get a Smartphone, it's kinda essential that you get one with a QVGA screen, or web browsing is really painful.

In my experience, though, web browsing is pretty easy, even more so because you can do it one-handed.
Crosswind technique: "Using your peripheral vision, react to body movements, gasps, groans, and shouts from the other side of the cockpit, and always remember that it's better to be lucky than good."
David Horn
<b>The Boss</b>

Postby James S » Dec 5, 2005 @ 9:04pm

Yeah, I think Smartphone navigation is easier than a PocketPC. You've got the arrow keys to navigate webpages and select links. To type a word you've got T9 Predictive text, which means you just press the button that corresponds to the letter in the word and then the next button and the phone knows that the combination can only match certain words, usually only one, so it's faster than punching buttons with a stylus on a QWERTY keyboard, or poor handwriting recognition. It's small, it's useful for a ton of things, not just organizing and games. And it has a good battery life.

PPC is obsolete, pretty much. The Smartphone is a far more intuitive device.
James S
pm Insider

Postby eminefes » Dec 5, 2005 @ 9:16pm

I don't use my ipaq 2215 much anymore. I remember I bought that thing a day before they were supposed to be available.....back in the summer of '03. Wow, it was pretty cool, but it seems the technology hasn't changed much since. :?

I mainly use it to play mp3s, act as an SD card reader, and play some games every once in a while.
Two cupcakes were in an oven. One turned to the other and said "Damn, it sure is hot in here" and the other one said "HOLY SHIT! A TALKING CUPCAKE!"
eminefes
pm Insider

Postby Chris Edwards » Dec 5, 2005 @ 10:14pm

What tech gadgets *are* you'all using these days?

For me:

Smartphone
iPod Shuffle
XBox w/ XBMC
BlackBerry
Canon Digital Rebel XT

That's pretty much it, and my iPod Shuffle just collects dust mostly. I've got a 1GB minisd card for my Smartphone, so that works as a nice MP3 player.

I've got my Dell Axim x51v, but I'm mostly going to use it as a remote control I think :).

I also got a Gym membership recently, so that's fun.
Chris Edwards
Founder
Chris Edwards
Site Co-Founder

Postby Miracle » Dec 5, 2005 @ 10:19pm

Sony U50
iPod (Photo)
Razr (if you can call it a gadget ;))
Panasonic Lumix FX9

That's about all the gadgets I have :).
Miracle
pm Insider

Postby damian » Dec 5, 2005 @ 11:11pm

damian
pm Insider

Postby David Horn » Dec 5, 2005 @ 11:31pm

Crosswind technique: "Using your peripheral vision, react to body movements, gasps, groans, and shouts from the other side of the cockpit, and always remember that it's better to be lucky than good."
David Horn
<b>The Boss</b>

Postby glenthemole » Dec 6, 2005 @ 12:58am

Theyre not all exactly gadgets but:

ipod 20gb 4th gen
minolta 5D DSLR
pentax optio s4
nokia 6230

thats it really, might see if i can pick up a cheap s/h ppc after christmas, haven't had one for a while.
glenthemole
pm Insider

Postby Blade Runner » Dec 6, 2005 @ 1:16am

Pretty much nothing here. :(
My MyPal A620 only has 1hour or less battery now, and I can't change it, well I don't know how.
No, I've never seen that, I've never seen anyone drive their garbage out to the curb and bang the hell out of it with a stick. No, I've never seen that.
Blade Runner
pm Member

Postby James S » Dec 6, 2005 @ 2:05am

TabletPC and Sony Ericsson phone as PDA are the only gadgets I use. I've had my TabletPC for two and a half years now. It's all scratched up, it's great.
James S
pm Insider

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Discussion

Sort

Forum Description

Post all off-topic messages here, almost anything goes.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions