This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Apple's new products: $99 ipod case, $350 speakers.

Postby refractor » Mar 9, 2006 @ 8:57pm

refractor
pm Insider

Postby sponge » Mar 11, 2006 @ 7:58am

damian: You can't just install the updates from the Software Updater usually, although 10.4.5 was cracked in a matter of days. I guess if it bothers you that you have to wait for what's almost always minor upgrades, it's not usable.

I know 10.4.3 had an internal iTunes universal binary, and applying the upgrade hosed the system. With 10.4.4 and 10.4.5 it may be possible to apply other software updates too. It's really a minor problem in the grand scheme of things.

Otherwise, compatibility is only severly lacking in Quartz Extreme/Core Image departments. Roestta works even if you have an SSE2 proc. Sound is touchy too, as NO soundblaster cards will work, although most onboard sound DOES.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.4.4

Take a poke around there and see if your hardware is supported specifically. Generally the "close enough" theory seems to apply.

refractor: The first part is referring to the patches you need: you can either find a base image and patch in SSE2 and AMD yourself, or patch in SSE2, and install the AMD enabler afterward. I'm a bit unclear on the specifics as I don't have any AMD procs, but it's just an extra step that can be performed in many different ways.

Disabling one of the cores is just in the OSX boot options, and a last resort at that. Windows will still work with both cores fine, those options are just to try on subsuquent boots if they don't work.

I'd be surprised if your processor is better supported EVER, unless maxxuss works more witchcraft and changes the way the AMD Enabler kernel patch work in future versions.

It's really a project to tinker with though, you have to do some decent research on issues so it's not for everyone, and the time-impaired as you seem to be.
holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

Postby damian » Mar 11, 2006 @ 8:50am

Hmm, does the radeon 8500/9000/9200 work too with QE/CI? I'm thinking I might be able to install it on my X1000. Everything else seems like it would be fine.
damian
pm Insider

Postby sponge » Mar 12, 2006 @ 9:31am

No, and it will never work as the card doesn't support pixel shader 2.0, IIRC if that was the reason. Unable to get a widescreen resolution, either, so you're stuck with 1024x768.

WiFi also doesn't work on the X1000. Sound and jacked ethernet does. Power management is weird (no battery meter, but sleep, etc, still seems to work)
holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

Previous

Return to Anything Discussion

Sort

Forum Description

Post all off-topic messages here, almost anything goes.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions