This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Help with my scanner

Re: Help with my scanner

Postby randall » May 26, 2001 @ 2:08pm

Anyway, depending on the type of scan you are doing (printed media or original), different resolutions may give you varying results.<br><br>Sometimes reducing the resolution will produce a higher quality image.
randall
pm Insider

Postby suchiaruzu » May 26, 2001 @ 2:10pm

yeah, I've tried that, either and it worked.
<div align="center">Image<br></div>
suchiaruzu
pm Insider

Postby 999 » May 26, 2001 @ 2:52pm

It's CMYK, Cyan - Magenta - Yellow and blacK. That's the print standard, anything out of that range is called a 5th color. A 6th color would be one that has a metallic glitter shine.<br><br>All home printers work off of an RGB palette, the better ones use the standard CMYK inks.<br><br>I think the problem isn't with the ink, or the printer, but rather the settings you're using.<br><br>A direct scan to print would just be a 100% scan of the image at 72dpi. If you shoot it through your PC and set it to the "highest" quality, that should mean you're now scanning at a much higher DPI (300 at least) and could also very well be scanning at more than 100%.<br><br>I'm not sure how complex or configurable your scanner is, but make sure to check the DPI (Dots Per Inch). The higher the DPI, the more shitty your scan will look at 100% size. Now, if in photoshop for example, just tap ctrl + "-" until the image becomes as sharp as you'd like it to be. Note the scale percentage, do the math and resize your image to the smaller dimensions and DPI.<br><br>A high DPI makes the image look like you're really zoomed in, and you can actually see the dot matrix patterns from the print-press. You could do a Despeckle filter in photoshop to fix that, but it's effectivenes is limited.<br><br>Of course to avoid all this, just scan at lower settings. A high DPI should only be used when scanning Film. Since film can scale to insane dimensions, scanning at a higher DPI will help you enlarge the image to fit your needs. I've blown up a 1x1 inch piece of film to 16x16 inches with the help of a drum scanner.<br><br>
pm Member

Postby Matt Keys » May 26, 2001 @ 7:16pm

I was scanning in at 300 dpi, I also compared it to 150 dpi and I could not make out a difference between the two. I am using a HP OfficeJet R60, it is a copy/print/scanner. ShapeShifter mentioned a picture format that saves your photos as CMYK, has anyone else heard of this or know where I can get it?
Matt Keys
Co-Founder
PocketMatrix.com
Matt Keys
Site Co-Founder

Postby suchiaruzu » May 26, 2001 @ 7:21pm

I think that was just some stupid icon. Dunno, PSP 4.0 doesn't have some format like that, but i bet there is one, even if I haven't seen it yet...
<div align="center">Image<br></div>
suchiaruzu
pm Insider

Postby 999 » May 26, 2001 @ 7:27pm

Matt:<br><br>What are you using to scan?<br><br>I really hope you're not using some weak bundled software.<br><br>All you should be using is the Twain32 plugin and photoshop.<br><br>Photoshop saves in RGB by default.<br><br>Moreover, you will DEFINATELY see a difference in photoshop when you scan at different DPI settings.<br><br>
pm Member

Postby Matt Keys » May 26, 2001 @ 8:32pm

"weak bundled software" that may explain what I am using...
Matt Keys
Co-Founder
PocketMatrix.com
Matt Keys
Site Co-Founder

Postby randall » May 26, 2001 @ 8:44pm

HP supplies the lamest bundled software, especially for their OficeJet line. I have an HP Officejet, and it won't let me install "just the drivers". Everything is integrated and it takes up about 65 megs for all their crap.<br><br>Come on, do I really need to have inferior scanner software installed?
randall
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » May 26, 2001 @ 11:14pm

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the scanner can only scan in RGB. When dealing with light, or what is seen, it is in RGB. However, when dealing with inks to create in image, you go by pairs of primary colors that are absorbed, hence the use of CMY. I guess my point is that the issue is the quality of the software used, as 999 said, as opposed to scanning and keeping the image in CMYB.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby randall » May 26, 2001 @ 11:35pm

To be truthful, it wouldn't make much sense if it could scan or convert to CMYK- that is only 4 colors and the digital image would be horribly dithered.<br><br>RGB are the primary colors of light, and depending on the bit depth can easily achieve 16 million color in 24-bit.<br><br>When that image is printed, it is reduced to the 4 CMYK colors and dithered so the printer can make sense of it.<br><br>The quality of the software makes a huge difference, like 999 stated. There are even shareware apps (Paintshop Pro) that are better than anything HP could provide.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Matt Keys » May 27, 2001 @ 12:20pm

Ok, so what software should I be using?
Matt Keys
Co-Founder
PocketMatrix.com
Matt Keys
Site Co-Founder

Postby Moose or Chuck » May 27, 2001 @ 1:05pm

get fotoshop its the best.
Moose or Chuck

Previous

Return to Anything Discussion

Sort

Forum Description

Post all off-topic messages here, almost anything goes.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions