This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Internet Share - Help!

Re: Internet Share - Help!

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jun 12, 2001 @ 11:04am

u did the guide for Shenmue. That game was so awsome. And ya, i know that they are good for multimedia. I just wish they weren't so freakin 'cute' just make it look all like hardcore and cool and u've got me sold on one for makin our sk8 vids with my DV cam.
Moose or Chuck

Postby 999 » Jun 12, 2001 @ 4:54pm

yea that book sucked, it was a lot of hard work.<br><br>Anyhow, i've installed the second nic, finally got wingate to see it, but now have run into another problem.<br><br>1- I cant find out my isp's dns as the wingate setup requests<br><br>2- The 2nd nic will not make a connection when i turn on the "uplink" switch on my Hub. On my old setup, I had the cable modem feed going into the Uplink port, and the "link" light would come on. With this new setup, I put my 2nd Nic into the uplink port, but it wont light up. I have to switch to a normal port for the "link" light to come on.<br><br>3- Wingate can see my mac making requests in the history file, but it's not working farther than that :(<br><br>
pm Member

Postby randall » Jun 12, 2001 @ 5:25pm

It depends on how you have your network set up. That computer is basically a server, but it still connects to the network the same as all the others.<br><br>The second NIC should connect to the hub through a normal port.<br><br>If you need to use the uplink port it usually requires a crossover cable, instead of the normal CAT-5 network cable. They both look identical, but the wiring is different. Normally the uplink port has a switch that you can change from crossover to pass-through, enabling you to use CAT-5.
randall
pm Insider

Postby randall » Jun 12, 2001 @ 5:29pm

Before continuing with the internet connection, make sure all your computers can "see" each other on the network. Especially the server, since that is the one that all the computers connect to for ICS.
randall
pm Insider

Postby 999 » Jun 12, 2001 @ 5:50pm

Okay, I'll head to fry's for a crossover cable, but if you say I don't really need one, I'll make do with what I have.<br><br>Now, what services should I have running on wingate?<br><br>I have DHCP currently running, that's it.<br><br>Everything seems to be setup just fine, but I cant get the dns of my isp, so I put in microsofts, like they recommended in the help file.<br><br>Still no dice however :( And yes, I can see everyone on my network.<br><br>
pm Member

Postby RavenRay » Jun 12, 2001 @ 6:12pm

999,  You shouldn't need a dns,  Cause what Wingate is suppose act is the routing for your dns.
"A rose blossom best at near death........and your at full bloom"
RavenRay
pm Member

Postby RavenRay » Jun 12, 2001 @ 6:17pm

Oh yeah, Did you also check PacBell's website?
RavenRay
pm Member

Postby 999 » Jun 12, 2001 @ 8:11pm

well, i've tried everything.<br><br>the cpus can see eachother on the network, just cant inet share.<br><br>it makes a connection, then starts to look for the URL, but it never gets anything back. wingate reports the url requests. <br><br>My last guess is I need a crossover cable coming from the 2nd nic into the uplink port on my hub.<br><br>
pm Member

Postby RavenRay » Jun 12, 2001 @ 9:12pm

Server is connecting to the net right?  Check on WinGates website, look for there support page.  They might be able to find out the problem.
RavenRay
pm Member

Postby randall » Jun 12, 2001 @ 9:35pm

If all the computers can see each other, then you probably don't need a crossover cable. As long as the light comes on, you have a physical connection.<br><br>Alternatively, you could disconnect one of your other computers from the hub, and plug the server into that port. If it works then at least you've narrowed it down to it being a physical connection problem, as opposed to a WinGate problem.<br><br>
randall
pm Insider

Previous

Return to Anything Discussion

Sort

Forum Description

Post all off-topic messages here, almost anything goes.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions