This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Internet Share - Help!

Internet Share - Help!

Postby 999 » Jun 11, 2001 @ 8:24pm

Okay, I've now got this shitty DSL from pacbell, a real step down from my TimeWarner Cable. But, it's all that's available in this area, so I'm stuck with it :(<br><br>Anyhow, my problem is, this IP isn't static, it's one of those gay Dynamic ones. This means I've got to use special software for my PC to "talk" to my modem and attain an IP.<br><br>It works nothing like a traditional setup through TCP/IP, and is going through PPPoE, whatever the fack that is.<br><br>Now, my problem is, I can't figure out how to share this connection and run it to my 2 macs so we can all be on the net.<br><br>Anyone out there know how to share this type of connection? I have 2 nic cards, a hub and lots of cable, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears and eyes.<br><br>If I can't share this connection, I gotta pay 100 bux to rent a static IP, and pay an additional 10 dollars a month for service, $64 dollars a month! <br><br>ALL I CAN SAY IS FUUCK PACBELL, THEY ARE PRICE GOUGING SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY HAVE THE MARKET CORNERED FOR COVERAGE HERE. DO NOT USE THEM IF YOU HAVE THE OPTION TO GO WITH OTHER ISP, THEY ARE NOT WORTH IT, AND HAVE EXTREMELY HORRIBLE NETWORK STABILITY.<br><br>
pm Member

Re: Internet Share - Help!

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jun 11, 2001 @ 8:29pm

get a dsl router.
Moose or Chuck

Postby RavenRay » Jun 11, 2001 @ 8:30pm

999, Are you running a mac?  If you got a a PC, I would suggest WinGate.  Then run it as a local intranet.  I know how you feel about PacBell.  At least it's only $64.  Up here in the North Bay of Cali, If we want a static IP....We gotta pay like $74 or $79.  Something like that.  Post a lil bit more info, So I know how your trying to run you setup.
"A rose blossom best at near death........and your at full bloom"
RavenRay
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jun 11, 2001 @ 8:30pm

o ya, PPPoE is PPP over Ethernet. Its what my dsl does too. 40bux a month. Fuck u Verizon. 640kbps down/100 kbps up, god what crap.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Matt Keys » Jun 11, 2001 @ 8:33pm

Ive got an idea.
Matt Keys
Co-Founder
PocketMatrix.com
Matt Keys
Site Co-Founder

Postby 999 » Jun 11, 2001 @ 8:38pm

Okay, I tried using Nshare, my personal favorite, however it reports 0 network activity when I've got it running and all the other Macs are set to point to my PC for a connection :(<br><br>Anyone else know of any programs that will use that PPPoE feed and share it? I think everything I have is only setup to share PPP and TCP/IP.<br><br>HELP!<br><br>I don't want to pay 100 bux and 64bux a month just to get my iMACs online too! :(<br><br>
pm Member

Postby Matt Keys » Jun 11, 2001 @ 8:44pm

You can register your ip address to something like 999.no-ip.com or 999.dns2go.com, then you can share with other computers using that as your IP. I have only heard of people using dns2go.com but their website seems to be down right now, so try : http://www.no-ip.com/services.php/page/free<br><br>I also found this program to use with another dns regestration service called URLredirect:<br><br>http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Network_and_Internet/Misc__Winsock_Tools/DYNAMIC_IP_Client.html<br><br>Hope this helps..
Matt Keys
Co-Founder
PocketMatrix.com
Matt Keys
Site Co-Founder

Postby RavenRay » Jun 11, 2001 @ 8:48pm

999,  what OS are you using for your PC?  Do you have a spare NIC for your PC?  Cause if you do,  you can set it up like this.  DSL goest to one NIC.  Second NIC goes to the HUB.  Next,  I think WinGate will hadle the rest for you DSL sharing.
RavenRay
pm Member

Postby randall » Jun 11, 2001 @ 8:50pm

Sorry, I don't know jack about mac. I thought Macs did everything automatically.<br><br>I share a single cable connection through all 6 of my desktop PCs.
randall
pm Insider

Postby 999 » Jun 11, 2001 @ 8:54pm

Well, my PC is my server. It always has been, I used to share my static DSL and Cable this way, but no more now that I'm using this PPPoE crap.<br><br>Ray:<br><br>Yea, I got two nic cards. I don't want to go through the trouble of installing the second one though if Wingate can't immediately share a PPPoE connection.<br><br>Has anyone had any experience sharing this kind of internet connection?<br><br>Matt:<br>I'll give those links a look, but like I wrote earlier, I'm hesitant towards trying something that's not going to work. I guess what I'm *hoping* to find is someone who has already done this, or a software description which actually mentions PPPoE share capabilities.<br><br>Thanks again guys!<br><br>
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jun 11, 2001 @ 8:54pm

ahh that leads me to my question. For what purpose are u using a mac. Does it collect dust or is ther some unknown use for a imaconguys.
Moose or Chuck

Postby RavenRay » Jun 11, 2001 @ 8:59pm

999,  I gone through this trouble before with one of my clients.  They currently run NT 4.0 server edition.  Your sever will act as a router also.  Once you put that second NIC,  you might want to run a local intranet.  Meaning, all machines will have a 192.168.x.x.  Except for the server which will have 192.168.x.1.  If your running NT 4.0 server edition, WinGate will solve this.  If running W2K, you will need no other software.  If running Win98,  this might be a little bit difficult.  I never ran a Win98 machine as a server cause it will not give too much of a firwall.
RavenRay
pm Member

Postby 999 » Jun 11, 2001 @ 9:02pm

Image<br>Image<br>Image<br><br>Just a few reasons why I need a Mac ;)<br><br>As much as you'd hate to realize this Chucky, about 90% of the Magazines/Books you've ever held in your hands were originally designed/layed-out on a Mac. They are Artist's tools, and if you're asking why I like them, then you just don't get it, and will never get it as you're not part of their narrow target audience.<br><br>Now, how about some Net help? My Maccies are getting lonely without a live wire :(<br><br>
pm Member

Postby randall » Jun 11, 2001 @ 9:16pm

My network used to share an internet connection through a dynamic IP- dialup through Win98 if you can believe it.<br><br>Win 98 R2 has a Internet Connection Sharing, but you probably have to install it from the Windows disk.<br><br>Windows 2000 is much better for that task.<br><br>What type of Proxy are you using? I used WinProxy with built in Firewall and had great success with that.<br><br>Basically the first NIC is used to connect to the internet and it gets it's IP from wherever. Usually the firewall and Proxy are configured to monitor this connection.<br><br>The second NIC is the LAN card that you can specify a static IP and all the other computers should be configured to connect through THAT card.<br><br>
randall
pm Insider

Postby RavenRay » Jun 11, 2001 @ 9:21pm

Randall,  You took the words right out of my mouth.  That was what I was trying to explain.  WinProxy,  that was another I forgot to mention.  Dayam, how much more can I forget.  Oh well,  Well, 999 that's how you should be able to share you connection for those Mac's of yours.
RavenRay
pm Member

Next

Return to Anything Discussion

Sort

Forum Description

Post all off-topic messages here, almost anything goes.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions