This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Stuff to do in/near Seattle and Phoenix/Arizona

Stuff to do in/near Seattle and Phoenix/Arizona

Postby glenthemole » Aug 15, 2006 @ 10:18am

Hey guys, I know the question is vague to the extreme!

I'm leaving for the US on Thursday with my family, going to spend a week in Seattle and a week in Arizona. We don't really plan our holidays, just jump in a rental car and stay on motels along the way, which means we're pretty flexible and can cover a fair distance.

So... was just wondering if theres any must see things to visit. Going to see the Grand Canyon obviously, finding a motel vaguely near it should be fun! Anything else you guys can reccomend?

I'd like to do some white water rafting and some mountain biking, anyone know any good places and rough prices? Taking my dSLR, so any spots of astounding beauty?

tia, glen
glenthemole
pm Insider

Postby Jaybot » Aug 15, 2006 @ 12:29pm

I'm sure there's some sort of rafting thing in the Colorado river down the in the canyon, but I've never personally done it. My little brother did a few years back, but he spent about an entire week doing it, which I doubt you'll want to waste on just rafting.

There's tons of old Indian shit, caves, etc around the Flagstaff area (which is around the Grand Canyon area). Plus some spot that got hit by a meteor or something... if I remember correctly.

On your way down from Flagstaff/Grand Canyon towards Phoenix, you'll definitely want to have a stop for at least a day (maybe two) in Sedona. There's some breathking views around that place, and it's a great place to stop for the ambience and the weather, before you go back to the weather in hell, or Phoenix.

Phoenix, do Camelback mountain, hike up it on either side, it's worth it. Supposedly there are some good biking trails in that area, but I've never been a big fan of biking, sorry. I do remember a few kids talking about some good mountain biking trails down in Tempe (20 minutes south of Phoenix), but... what do I know.

Enjoy.
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby chuck » Aug 15, 2006 @ 2:35pm

As I recall, rafting in the Grand Canyon must be booked something like a year in advance.
chuck
pm Insider

Postby Kzinti » Aug 15, 2006 @ 4:33pm

Crater Lake in Oregon is really nice and somewhat on your way.

http://www.nps.gov/crla/
Kzinti
pm Member

Postby glenthemole » Aug 15, 2006 @ 5:37pm

glenthemole
pm Insider

Return to Anything Discussion

Sort

Forum Description

Post all off-topic messages here, almost anything goes.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions