This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

What is everyone up to these days?

What is everyone up to these days?

Postby Chris Edwards » Apr 27, 2010 @ 7:18am

Well, now that the site is back on it's feet, it'd be nice to hear what all the old members are up to these days.

I graduated university, got married, and live out in Vancouver now. I'm going for my Chartered Accountancy at a Big 4 firm. Kind of a switch from my compsci degree-- but it'll be good after I have my designation.

Same hobbies as before.

I use a BlackBerry Bold now, but am looking to see what WM7 brings to the table. WM7 vs BB6 vs Android will be a tough decision. It'll probably come down to hardware, where I think BlackBerry will win. But we'll see.
Chris Edwards
Founder
Chris Edwards
Site Co-Founder

Re: What is everyone up to these days?

Postby MZGuy » May 3, 2010 @ 5:08pm

Hey Chris and all!

I was never posting much on this site, but was lurking quite a lot back in the days ;) I've been checking in a few times during the last years too. Now I took a new look, as I saw that pocketmatrix.com is recommended in the PowerVR Insider FAQ as a PocketPC programming resource! Seems like stuff is happening here again (though I suppose the developer part of the site was never really dead), which is nice!

After doing my Master's Thesis in computer science in a project here at Åbo Akademi University and graduating last year, I didn't want to leave for the real world outside of university, so I decided to continue as a Ph.D. student instead :wink: Right now I'm looking into video decoding on mobile GPUs using OpenGL ES 2.0, which explains what I was doing on PowerVR's site in the first place.

I'm currently using a Nokia N900 smartphone, which I like very much. There are maybe not as many applications developed for it as for the other mobile platforms, but the browser is great.
MZGuy
pm Insider

Postby Diego Cueva » May 12, 2010 @ 10:41pm

Oh boy, does this place bring back memories or what... Oh, the naïve youth of my life...
Good to see you guys are doing well! I assume the library girl got married, had kids and lived happily ever after..

Last week I was browsing Engadget (or Wired, dunno) and came by an article about the 10th birthday of PocketPC. To my surprise, I saw a comment by Moose (James) in the comments section. Tried to reply, but it didn't work.

It eventually led me here. Good to know things are still up. It's been what? Like 8 years?
Most ppl probably don't even know who I am around here...

Anyway, a lot has happened over the last decade. I finished high school, got my undergrad in robotics engineering (5 years) and just last month started my grad course in Cognitive Architectures for AI (2 more years).

The interest for tech and gadgets obviously still remain. My old iPAQ survived through a battery replacement (used as a car GPS), but eventually got replaced by an iphone.

Currently, I'm playing with my shinny new consumerist desire: a 32gb ipad..
--------------------------

Last modification: Diego Cueva - 04/31/03 at 17:32:04
I´m currently listening to my PC´s fan
SMRF founder
Peace
Diego Cueva
pm Insider

Postby Jadam » May 18, 2010 @ 7:28am

Hey folks! This site brings back memories =D

I've graduated as a Mechanical Engineer and I'm working full time right now.

I've been playing around with my iPad lately however, getting involved in Cocoa programming and starting to make some apps for it. Once the iPhone came out I pretty much gave up on WinMo, had the first iPhone from release, it was great.

It's kinda amazing to me how we're now JUST getting to 1GHZ processors for mobile devices, I remember people predicting 1GHZ mobiles around 2004!

And on that note, I'm really looking forward to the EVO 4G that's being released. Dumped my iPhone for a Palm Pre last year, it showed promise, however I was disappointed overall. So going to be replacing my Pre with an EVO 4G next month, can't wait!

I've noticed Dan East posting a lot on /. and Moose seems to post a bit on engadget.
Jadam
I'm a STAR!

Postby refractor » May 24, 2010 @ 8:48am

refractor
pm Insider

Postby mm40 » May 27, 2010 @ 5:16am

Porting all of my WM games to the iPhone, still working full time as in indie game dev.
mm40
pm Member

Postby Jadam » May 28, 2010 @ 2:56pm

Jadam
I'm a STAR!

Postby mm40 » May 28, 2010 @ 3:08pm

mm40
pm Member

Postby Dan East » May 29, 2010 @ 3:08am

Even more so after Apple blocked Adobe from that exact thing - providing a 3rd party development environment. Plus XCode is already free. I would be very surprised if that actually happens. Apple is on top of the world right now - why they would make any overture or concession to MS is beyond me.
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby sponge » Jun 1, 2010 @ 2:47am

The rumor seems so completely ridiculous, but if it happens, I'll love it, especially if you can make an iPhone OS app from start to finish on Windows. XCode may be free, but you need a Mac. I've got an iMac but its not exactly suitable for heavy duty development.
holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

Postby Dan East » Jun 1, 2010 @ 1:33pm

Lol. Try an eMac (that's not what I actually use, but I did set it up for iPhone development). I bought two of them for $10 each at the state surplus sale. :)
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby hockeydude » Jul 10, 2010 @ 7:49pm

Hey guys...Just checking in for the first time in a number of years. I don't really know what compelled me to type pocketmatrix into my browser on this dreary day here in VA, but here I am. It sounds like all of you are doing well. Seeing some of the old posts here really brings back memories. I looked at my profile and realized it's been about 8 years since I first signed up for my account - it blows my mind! Anyway, I graduated college last year with a degree in Information Security. Since then, I've moved from Pennsylvania to Virginia and have been working since August with an IT Consulting company, which I love. I've been considering teaching myself some iPhone programming, so maybe I'll have to start hanging around here more often, as I see we have an iPhone board now. It looks like the Snails forum is now archived :-(. I'm still a mod there...haha.
[url]http://snails.pocketmatrix.com[/url] The Snails Level Depot...For All your Snails Level Needs!
hockeydude
pm Insider

Postby Qutar Jet teh II » Jul 23, 2010 @ 11:34pm

While digging through my closet I found my (now broken) old Ipaq!! Instantly brought back so many memories. Playing GFDoom during my last year of high school....spending countless hours on this site. Although that was mostly as a guest....I created this account pretty late in the game from what I remember. I still remember the old argument for/against guests.

Also I had to look up and see if a certain thread still exists...and it does!!

http://www.pocketmatrix.com/forums/view ... 11&t=14677

I still go into tears from laughing at the last couple of pages...

So much time has passed. Graduating high school, graduating college, entering grad school....I have fond memories of this place though. I would actually pop in now and then over the years, but the spam would get really rough. Very glad to see it's alive and its members doing well. :)
Qutar Jet teh II
pm Member

Postby benkenobi0 » Jul 28, 2010 @ 7:22am

Crazy. Just decided to visit this place on a whim. Glad everyone is doing well.

I finished my Bachelor's in Computer Science from MIT and I'm going to start working for a defense contracting company in about 3 weeks. Just moved into my new apartment and bought a new car two days ago to start my new life in MA (as opposed to TX).
benkenobi0
pm Insider

Postby Dihnekis » Jan 13, 2011 @ 2:44am

I finished my bachelors in History and got an EMT-B license. I'm headed off to China to teach english for a year, but when I get back I'm planning on upgrading to a wilderness-emt and working for the national park service. Nice to see everyone is doing well.
Careful, don't get crushed under the weight of my stupidity... the think hurts
Dihnekis
pm Member

Next

Return to Anything Discussion

Sort

Forum Description

Post all off-topic messages here, almost anything goes.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions