This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Internet on Pocket PC

Internet on Pocket PC

Postby Jay » Mar 30, 2001 @ 7:33am

Jay
pm Member

Re: Internet on Pocket PC

Postby Jay » Mar 30, 2001 @ 7:34am

Jay
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 30, 2001 @ 8:18am

My 1GB MicroDrive has become an invaluable commodity for me and my tasks. It keeps the RAM clean so the device runs fast and I can put whatever I want to on it, even install programs there. It doesn't eat up the battery as much as some say, but don't expect the same amount of battery life.<br>I don't go on the internet with it, since there is no wireless service in my area. I'l give you a few links to some good ones though. All of them are slightly on the expensive side though.<br><br><br>Hrmmm. I had a richochet link but can't find it.<br>Last modification: Moose Master - 03/30/01 at 05:18:22
Moose or Chuck

Postby SonicSilicon » Mar 30, 2001 @ 12:47pm

Ricochet is only available in cities, and Springfield, despite being the telecom nexus of the NorthEast, does not have it available. And I don't live in Springfield anyway.<br>I liked the Spider, though. The cheapest one, I don't have to buy a CF-to-PCMCIA extender for my E-105, and it comes with its own Li-Ion battery. On top of that, SprintPCS is available in my area. Right now I have Verizon, but it sucks. I'm paying more for less service. Stupid two year contract, and I had to renew when my original phone had a melt-down (almost literally.) Now I get a notice of a Class Action lawsuit against Verizon that doesn't benefir me at all since I'd have to renew for another year of service that kicks in AFTER my current two year plan expires. I wonder if they'd let me turn my piece of the settlement into a no-fee termination of service instead. Proabably not. By the way, cell phones suck unless you're talking on them or receiving calls constantly.
SonicSilicon
pm Member

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 31, 2001 @ 4:36pm

but remember, the spider is SLOW! 9.8k baud...ugh! The Ricochet is like $80 a month, unless you can afford that, i'd hold off on woreless. But my microdrive RULES! I laugh at all the people with their MD players. HA!  I have 3 pages of menus in Casio's menu app! (9 each page)
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Jaybot » Apr 1, 2001 @ 9:25pm

I find it to be easiest to just use my Qualcomm 860 Thinphone to connect wirelessly to the net.  It's a really thin phone and you get 14.4k, which is good enough for me, and the phone is dirt cheap.  Also, the cable to connect it to a casio is super small and is like 30 bucks, but well worth it.  And a 1GB microdrive is a kick ass thing to have, except when playing some games that don't really support it, because the microdrive is much slower than normal flash memory, and many games lag when trying to load more info. into RAM.
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby Dr. Phat » Apr 1, 2001 @ 11:01pm

Hmmm... i need a cell phone!
Mike Greene
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 2, 2001 @ 3:06pm

That is a big plus. If you use a cell phone to get on the internet you still have a free expansion port for MicroDrives or whatever else.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Jaybot » Apr 2, 2001 @ 3:12pm

Exactly, just make sure you have a plan with a lot of minutes!  I'm paying about 74 bucks a month to get 2000 minutes a months (including free long distnce and roaming).  Which to all the Voicestream people out there, may sound high.  But this is with Verizon, and I haven't found a dead spot ANYwhere.  I've heard they (verizon) actually have a 'data-call only' plan which is like 40 bucks a month for unlimited minutes, if your using it only for internet and stuff.  But I do need my phone for, you know recieving calls and calling people (I don't have a land line... well I do, but it's just used for modem on my desktop PC).
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby Dr. Phat » Apr 3, 2001 @ 4:29am

im gonna do that. everyone asks "can it go on the internet" and when i say no, they walk away disappointed. i wish i could say yes, and entice them into the nerdiful (excuse my Made uo word) world of PDA's.
Mike Greene
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Jaybot » Apr 3, 2001 @ 4:47am

Yeah, I know, I used to get that shit all the time too.  First it's "is that a palm?"  I politely respond "ggrrrr! no, moron."  <br>"well what is it"<br>"it's a pocket pc, leave me alone, i'm trying to beat quake again!"<br>"quake? whats that?"<br>"........nevermind, go away (unless it's a hot chick at the bar then i say) wanna see somthing cool?"<br>"no, not really.  hey can that thing get on the internet?"<br>i used to have to say, "yeah, .. but i'm busy right now, and i don't want to." and they would say "pfft! loser... even palms can do that!"<br>oooh that infuriated me, so for awhile I would lie and say, "pfft! of course it can, let me show you!" and then I'd try to trick them with avant go.<br><br>But now I get to say "pfft! yeah, why? wanna see?"  then I just take out my cell phone and go <click> <click> and I'm connected in less than 20 seconds (i like msn now), and now I get all the ladies!! yeah, that's right!<br><br>Or, sometimes i'm already on the net at a bar drinking, when people walk up, yup it's that convenient, (and hardly consumes any battery power, especially compared to CF lot cards <ugh!>)
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 3, 2001 @ 9:27am

Uhm... Jaybot, are you really... really really really lonely?
Moose or Chuck

Postby Jaybot » Apr 3, 2001 @ 1:02pm

why do you ask?
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 4, 2001 @ 2:32am

Because you're sitting at a bar with your pocket pc. And because you have planned a conversation.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Jaybot » Apr 4, 2001 @ 5:20am

Well moose, when you turn twenty one and start going to the bars, maybe you will understand. :)<br><br>As for the planned conversation, i was just generalizing and kidding around. geez.
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Next

Return to Site Announcements/Feedback

Sort

Forum Description

Have anything to say about PocketMatrix.com? Looking for info on the latest happenings at PocketMatrix.com?

Moderators:

sponge, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions