This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Legal - Finding and Stopping a hack hosted on a website -

Legal - Finding and Stopping a hack hosted on a website -

Postby andie » Oct 14, 2004 @ 5:18am

Andie Clarke
Senior Technical Recruiter
PM Contributing Editor At Large
andrea@planetschnoogie.com

http://planetschnoogie.com
andie
pm Member

Postby Conan » Oct 19, 2004 @ 5:21pm

I work for a law firm ( in an I.T. capacity )
What we do for clients who have problems with websites is have the domain name taken away from the offending people. This does not seem to be too time consuming a task so not very expensive. I will have a chat to one of the relevant lawyers next time I'm in that department to see what steps they go through.

Perhaps a fighting fund (who holds the money though?) would allow the worst sites to be taken off the air.
What is Best in Life ?
Conan
pm Member

Legal Fund

Postby andie » Oct 19, 2004 @ 5:35pm

Hi Conan -

What a great concept!

If memory serves, the fees to shut down a website are less than $1000 US. And this can be done direct, but of course an experienced attorney whom can walk into the Supreme Court in Arlignton, Virginia would be worth the $500 fee they charge.

Thanks so much for the feedback and let us know what else you learn.

I will begin talks with the PM team regarding your concept/idea for a legal fund.

Take care, Andie
Andie Clarke
Senior Technical Recruiter
PM Contributing Editor At Large
andrea@planetschnoogie.com

http://planetschnoogie.com
andie
pm Member

Postby refractor » Oct 19, 2004 @ 7:37pm

refractor
pm Insider

Postby sponge » Oct 19, 2004 @ 8:10pm

holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

Postby David Horn » Oct 19, 2004 @ 8:50pm

Crosswind technique: "Using your peripheral vision, react to body movements, gasps, groans, and shouts from the other side of the cockpit, and always remember that it's better to be lucky than good."
David Horn
<b>The Boss</b>

Postby Conan » Oct 19, 2004 @ 11:46pm

What is Best in Life ?
Conan
pm Member

Postby Guest » Oct 20, 2004 @ 6:23am

The issue was resolved a couple of says after I posted. All I did was traced the domain to the ISP and emailed the ISP. I didn't think I would have much luck since the ISP is in the Netherlands, but to my suprised they were willing to help. Though I figured they would have pull all the content from the site, instead they jsut asked me to send them a link and the names of the titles I wanted pulled. They had one of my applications and one of my games as a full cracked released, so even if I patched it... I wouldn't have been able to stop them. The ISP notified the website owners (Russians) and they pulled the titles. It's still very unfortunate though since I was hoping they would have pulled it all. There are MANY titles there and quite a few are from the developers that are here and in this very thread. Of course, I'm revamping the protextion routines but let's be honest... nothing we do will stop them from cracking anything. And the problem with PPC games/apps are they are small enough to just release the full program instead of a patch to crack. I'm not giving out the site's name. I'm sorry, but that will only promote it. I suggest that every developer search and look for cracks for their programs.

Postby TT » Nov 22, 2004 @ 4:46pm

Well, I think there's no way to protect your app from being cracked.

Here, in Russia, you can freely buy "pirated" CDs with cracked software near almost every subway station. Software collection worth over $3000 (AutoCAD, Photoshop, CorelDraw, Windows etc) can be bought for 80 roubles (less than $3). Specialized industrial CAD/CAM software for $2000-3000 each is "more expensive" - from $10 to $150.

So you can obtain any software almost for no cost.

Why? I'll tell you. Average person gets about $300-400 monthly. Now the expences: $30 house rent, $100 at least - food, $20 - subway and buses... Houseware and clothes - let it be as small as $50, Internet ($30) and cellular calls ($20-$50). It's already $250... If you don't own a car (then expences increasing dramatically). Something definitely should be left for entertainment, health and so on...

So I, for example, cannot afford to buy software for my PC and PDA. "Software pirates" are just using it...
TT
pm Member

Return to General

Sort

Forum Description

General development discussion including business/marketing topics. Platform-specific discussion should be placed in the appropriate forum below.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions