This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Installing Linux...

Installing Linux...

Postby Miracle » Apr 3, 2006 @ 11:08pm

Or a bit more specific: Using .

I'm trying to install this one on my Sony, but since I have no bootable CD or Floppy drive, I can forget about the 'normal' method... I *can* boot via network, and of course HDD, but that's about it.

I'm hoping somebody around here can help me out, or knows a guide that can help me. I don't want to replace the windows installation, just install linux on the 2nd partition.

Any help would be much appreciated, and for what it counts, you'll be given full credit in my article (planning on documenting the whole thing, if it works out as it should).

Thanks in advance!
Miracle
pm Insider

Postby refractor » Apr 3, 2006 @ 11:19pm

Two options.

1. Take the HD out, put it in another machine, repartition and add a bootloader, move it back..

2. network boot a distro that supports it from a TFTP system (e.g. <a href="http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_Diskless_Install#DHCP_and_TFTP_setup">Gentoo</a>

Personally I'd go for the latter (that's how I install operating systems on my tablet anyway).
refractor
pm Insider

Postby Caesar » Apr 4, 2006 @ 12:24am

The installer should guide you through the process. Most distros allow you to setup custom partitions. Ubuntu64 coexists with Windows XP on my system with no problem. You'll also want to create a gig or two for a "swap" partition. The installer should allow you to do that as well.

eit-btw, doing a network boot is a bitch. I'd suggest getting a hold of a cd drive or floppy then you can do a net install.
Organic Superlube? Oh, it's great stuff, great stuff. You really have to keep an eye on it, though--it'll try and slide away from you the first chance it gets.
Caesar
Veni Vidi Vici

Postby damian » Apr 4, 2006 @ 12:41am

Does it boot from USB? Put an installer image on a stick and just do a net install. If that distro doesn't support it, choose another one. Ubuntu, SuSE and Gentoo are nice.
damian
pm Insider

Postby Caesar » Apr 4, 2006 @ 1:59am

Gentoo is not for people just starting out though. Hell, I haven't tried it yet. Compiling the whole damned OS, kernel and all the packages just doesn't appeal to me. I have yet to find a distro that supports my notebook properly anyway :?
Organic Superlube? Oh, it's great stuff, great stuff. You really have to keep an eye on it, though--it'll try and slide away from you the first chance it gets.
Caesar
Veni Vidi Vici

Postby Brig » Apr 4, 2006 @ 2:03am

Truth is a possession.
Brig
<font color=purple>Bombastic Brig</font>

Postby damian » Apr 4, 2006 @ 3:59am

damian
pm Insider

Postby Miracle » Apr 4, 2006 @ 6:23am

Miracle
pm Insider

Postby refractor » Apr 4, 2006 @ 10:16am

http://home.allegiance.tv/~joem298/ <-- here's what I did to get things booted on my tablet (DHCP and TFTP). You'll have to do different stuff at the end to boot whatever it is you want to boot instead but that covers a DHCP and TFTP server setup.
refractor
pm Insider

Postby Miracle » Apr 4, 2006 @ 10:54am

Thanks a lot! I'll check that out as soon as I get home!

Too bad there is no easy way to just copy the contents of a Live CD onto your HDD or something like that...
Miracle
pm Insider

Postby David Horn » Apr 4, 2006 @ 11:06am

There is, IIRC.
Crosswind technique: "Using your peripheral vision, react to body movements, gasps, groans, and shouts from the other side of the cockpit, and always remember that it's better to be lucky than good."
David Horn
<b>The Boss</b>

Postby Miracle » Apr 4, 2006 @ 1:22pm

Miracle
pm Insider

Postby David Horn » Apr 4, 2006 @ 2:23pm

Crosswind technique: "Using your peripheral vision, react to body movements, gasps, groans, and shouts from the other side of the cockpit, and always remember that it's better to be lucky than good."
David Horn
<b>The Boss</b>

Postby Caesar » Apr 5, 2006 @ 2:03pm

Damian, I had tried SuSE, but it also doesn't support everything. I've settled on the latest testing version of Ubuntu because it detects my wireless card out of the box so to speak. Mepis was actually the distro to let me use my wireless out of the box. I think I may try SuSE again.
Caesar
Veni Vidi Vici

Postby damian » Apr 5, 2006 @ 10:35pm

damian
pm Insider

Next

Return to Anything Discussion

Sort

Forum Description

Post all off-topic messages here, almost anything goes.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions