This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Car Adapter Voltage

Car Adapter Voltage

Postby hockeydude » Apr 17, 2006 @ 11:29pm

[url]http://snails.pocketmatrix.com[/url] The Snails Level Depot...For All your Snails Level Needs!
hockeydude
pm Insider

Postby David Horn » Apr 17, 2006 @ 11:51pm

Crosswind technique: "Using your peripheral vision, react to body movements, gasps, groans, and shouts from the other side of the cockpit, and always remember that it's better to be lucky than good."
David Horn
<b>The Boss</b>

Postby James S » Apr 18, 2006 @ 1:55am

Yeah, your better bet is finding a specific adaptor. And it should charge fine on 6V, I'd check the current rating.
James S
pm Insider

Postby hockeydude » Apr 19, 2006 @ 12:01am

Yeah, I checked the Current rating on my PPC and it's rated at 3Amps......where as the power adapter is only rated at 800mA. I guess that's where the problem is. Now, can I change the fuse in that power adapter to allow the pass through of more amperage...OR, will I blow the car up trying? :wink:

A 5V adapter at Radio shack is going to be atleast 25 bucks, and I'd rather not spend that.
[url]http://snails.pocketmatrix.com[/url] The Snails Level Depot...For All your Snails Level Needs!
hockeydude
pm Insider

Postby David Horn » Apr 19, 2006 @ 12:18am

You won't blow the car up, but the risk is that should the adaptor fail, it might unhelpfully deposit 12V from your car's electrical system into the Pocket PC. Bear in mind that cigarette lighters can have 20A fuses on them... and, well, you get the picture.

Will it charge off USB? Cigarette lighter to USB socket adaptors are relatively cheap.
Crosswind technique: "Using your peripheral vision, react to body movements, gasps, groans, and shouts from the other side of the cockpit, and always remember that it's better to be lucky than good."
David Horn
<b>The Boss</b>

Postby hockeydude » Apr 19, 2006 @ 1:48am

hockeydude
pm Insider

Postby David Horn » Apr 19, 2006 @ 10:02am

The point I'm making is that if you overload the adaptor, it might fail, at which point it might connect your Pocket PC directly to the car's 12V feed. Even if you put a 3A fuse in it, it may fail prior to that being reached.
David Horn
<b>The Boss</b>

Postby hockeydude » Apr 19, 2006 @ 8:24pm

well, this is what I did.....I went and bought a PSP car adapter. It's the closest I found to the power rating: 5V at 2Amps...it seems to be working fine..I just hope that it's able to power it once I start using the GPS. Hopefully it wont draw that much power.
hockeydude
pm Insider

Return to Anything Discussion

Sort

Forum Description

Post all off-topic messages here, almost anything goes.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions