This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Gas prices

Gas prices

Postby sandmann » Apr 27, 2006 @ 7:50pm

Does anyone actually know the mechanisms that affect gas prices? Cuz I think this nation needs a fucking education... All this talk of a windfall profit tax is driving me crazy.
The fates lead him who will;
Him who won't, they drag.

Seneca
sandmann
pm Insider

Postby sponge » Apr 27, 2006 @ 8:00pm

How much we kick ass affects the gas prices. The more we kick ass, the higher it goes.

Right now, we really kick ass.
holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

Postby James S » Apr 27, 2006 @ 8:00pm

The obvious things like supply, cost of refining, the taxes that different states have and the regulations on storage. Also whatever the people are willing to pay.

What bugs me is when the media says "Gas is going to break $3.50 a gallon by the end of summer" because then it obviously will because people are expecting that and gas companies can charge that much.

Sponge, maybe we shouldn't nuke the hell out of Iran for threatening us so that gas prices don't sky rocket, because if we nuked Iran we'd really be kicking some ass. Some big fat ass. :)
James S
pm Insider

Postby David Horn » Apr 27, 2006 @ 8:27pm

LMFAO

Petrol here is nearly $9/gallon. And I taxed my car yesterday, which cost $325 for the year.
Crosswind technique: "Using your peripheral vision, react to body movements, gasps, groans, and shouts from the other side of the cockpit, and always remember that it's better to be lucky than good."
David Horn
<b>The Boss</b>

Postby gamefreaks » Apr 27, 2006 @ 10:43pm

What if everything is an illusion and nothing exists? In that case, I definitely overpaid for my carpet. -Woody Allen
gamefreaks
pm Insider

Postby James S » Apr 27, 2006 @ 11:14pm

Actually it's more like $6.88/gallon. 1 Pound per liter = $6.88/gallon. But that's still more than twice what our gas costs. ... See how good a job Bush is doing at keeping the gas prices down after the Democrats that try to blame him for gas prices are the same democrats who voted against expanding our energy resources?
James S
pm Insider

Postby Brig » Apr 27, 2006 @ 11:43pm

About 75% of the english fuel cost is tax.

We're at about 18%.

It's pretty much free market economics at work. There's a high demand for oil from us and developing nations but it looks like we've almost/have reached peak capacity. We're heading into the driving season. Iraq produces less oil now than it did before the war... On and on... oil has a lot of reasons to be up and that obviously affects gas prices.
Truth is a possession.
Brig
<font color=purple>Bombastic Brig</font>

Postby Andy » Apr 28, 2006 @ 12:56am

Introducing significant gas taxes might be a good idea; it'd provide incentive to wean people off of petroleum energy. A tax induced, and gradual, increase in gas prices might be better than the free-market alternative. I don't subscribe to this belief, but I can understand it.
Andy
<font color=red size=3>Troll++</font>

Postby David Horn » Apr 28, 2006 @ 2:23am

It may also get you to move into either smaller and more fuel efficient cars, or switch to diesel engines which return in excess of 50mpg.

Even American petrol engines (no offence intended), are horribly crude compared to European designs. The 2 litre diesel engine in my car develops 160bhp and gives me 55mpg when doing it.
Crosswind technique: "Using your peripheral vision, react to body movements, gasps, groans, and shouts from the other side of the cockpit, and always remember that it's better to be lucky than good."
David Horn
<b>The Boss</b>

Postby Presto » Apr 28, 2006 @ 2:35am

Well, if you get twice the mileage at twice the cost, then we're still getting the same miles / dollar.

Weird.
Presto
pm Insider

Postby Caesar » Apr 28, 2006 @ 3:37am

The price for a barrell of oil has gone up significantly because of the possibility of war in Iran. All this market stuff is bullshit. The more I learn of economics the more I wonder why the hell people think these are good ideas. What's wrong with something simpler?
Organic Superlube? Oh, it's great stuff, great stuff. You really have to keep an eye on it, though--it'll try and slide away from you the first chance it gets.
Caesar
Veni Vidi Vici

Postby Brig » Apr 28, 2006 @ 4:08am

Economics is the study of the economy.

I believe you mean that you don't believe in the conclusions come to by economists. Which is your prerogative.

Please, ignore the fact that development and as a result, freedom, are the products of capitalism. Though capitalism isn't perfect, it is the least imperfect system.

Free market capitalism is the most beautiful religion.
Truth is a possession.
Brig
<font color=purple>Bombastic Brig</font>

Postby Andy » Apr 28, 2006 @ 4:55am

Why even bother applying mathematical analysis to an economy when Bill O'Reilly will just give you the answers?
Andy
<font color=red size=3>Troll++</font>

Postby Caesar » Apr 28, 2006 @ 11:10pm

Organic Superlube? Oh, it's great stuff, great stuff. You really have to keep an eye on it, though--it'll try and slide away from you the first chance it gets.
Caesar
Veni Vidi Vici

Postby Jaybot » Apr 29, 2006 @ 1:48am

-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Next

Return to Anything Discussion

Sort

Forum Description

Post all off-topic messages here, almost anything goes.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions