This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Immmmmmigration

Immmmmmigration

Postby Brig » May 2, 2006 @ 2:55am

Truth is a possession.
Brig
<font color=purple>Bombastic Brig</font>

Postby Andy » May 2, 2006 @ 4:42am

The INS should coordinate several raids on all of these immigration protests. Not that I care about illegal immigrants; it's just that the ensuing chaos would be awesome.
Andy
<font color=red size=3>Troll++</font>

Postby benkenobi0 » May 2, 2006 @ 6:09pm

benkenobi0
pm Insider

Postby sandmann » May 3, 2006 @ 10:51pm

The fates lead him who will;
Him who won't, they drag.

Seneca
sandmann
pm Insider

Postby chuck » May 3, 2006 @ 11:23pm

chuck
pm Insider

Postby Caesar » May 4, 2006 @ 12:55am

Organic Superlube? Oh, it's great stuff, great stuff. You really have to keep an eye on it, though--it'll try and slide away from you the first chance it gets.
Caesar
Veni Vidi Vici

Postby sandmann » May 4, 2006 @ 2:50am

You can "crack down" on people who are "breaking our laws" by deporting them. Conviction of a felony is extremely severe. First, you'll serve a long prison sentence and/or pay a hefty fine. Second, when they let you out of jail, you'll never be allowed back in this country again. If you are, you'll never be able to get a job. Felonies are very serious crimes -- working hard trying to earn enough money to feed your children and support your extended family is not a serious crime.

Not only would the legislation in question have made illegal immigration a felony -- it also would have made assisting an illegal immigrant a felony. So if you help your brother immigrate illegally, you can be thrown in jail for half of your life.

Do you really believe the punishment fits the crime?

Seneca
sandmann
pm Insider

Postby Caesar » May 4, 2006 @ 3:49am

So deport them so they come back again? I don't think that'd work so well. If you want to come here, you come legally. Whether the punishment fits the crime or not is of no consequence. No one should be in a situation where they could be arrested for that. Come legally or not at all. It's not as if we're shutting down the borders to everyone. Breaking a law is immoral.
Organic Superlube? Oh, it's great stuff, great stuff. You really have to keep an eye on it, though--it'll try and slide away from you the first chance it gets.
Caesar
Veni Vidi Vici

Postby chuck » May 4, 2006 @ 4:39am

No, breaking a law is illegal. Morality and Legality are two mutually exclusive subjects. Some laws may enforce morals, but law has no effect on those morals.
chuck
pm Insider

Postby James S » May 4, 2006 @ 4:59am

Why is it not immoral to not do what your governing authorities tell you to? I think obeying rulers is a moral thing to do most of the time.

Regardless, I don't really care if people illegally immigrate. Sure not everyone should do it, but if a couple people love my country so much that they'll try to get into it illegaly then all I can feel is flattery.
James S
pm Insider

Postby Brig » May 4, 2006 @ 5:48am

Personally, I'll do whatever I please with the consideration of breaking a law as a calculation of risk. Fortunately, most of my behaviors fall within the expectations of statute and I can more or less do as I please while benefiting from the unique joy that is sticking it to the man.

As Sandy stated, throwing them into jail would be ridiculous. I mean, shit, look at the costs. You'd be losing out on the economic benefits of illegal workers while at the same time putting out money to keep them in jail. Not to mention the enforcement...

Look, it's simple. As long as Mexico is shit and the US is less shitty, Mexicans (and others) will want to come here. It's good for them and it's good for us.
Truth is a possession.
Brig
<font color=purple>Bombastic Brig</font>

Postby sandmann » May 4, 2006 @ 6:11am

Seneca
sandmann
pm Insider

Postby James S » May 4, 2006 @ 5:47pm

James S
pm Insider

Postby chuck » May 4, 2006 @ 8:05pm

chuck
pm Insider

Postby Presto » May 4, 2006 @ 9:23pm

Presto
pm Insider

Next

Return to Anything Discussion

Sort

Forum Description

Post all off-topic messages here, almost anything goes.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions