This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Creating SMALL .asf/.wmv

Creating SMALL .asf/.wmv

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 15, 2001 @ 12:07pm

well i've seen the instructions for downsampling video to fit on 20 mb, now say i want to make a 30 minute video, what would u recommend the settings too be for a balance of quality versus size. Also how bad is the quality on those 20mb things, i've heard its incredibly jumpy...
Moose or Chuck

Re: Creating SMALL .asf/.wmv

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 15, 2001 @ 8:36pm

No, it's incredibly grainy, like a lower than 0 quality JPEG. Ugh, I won't say I hate Microsoft encoders. Just keep the bitrate at around 350kbps and raise the smooth------quality slider to around 50 or 60. Try that. But you're using the wmv encoder, so I don't know all of it's options.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 16, 2001 @ 1:01am

well do u think i can rip down 30 minute vids  tto fit on my ppc without cards or microdrivve.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Jaybot » Apr 16, 2001 @ 2:16am

the smallest I've ever been able to get a viewable movie (using mpegs on pockettv)is 1 meg per minute, so it would be possible to have a 20 minute movie at 20 megs, if you had that free.<br>Oh, and I will say that while I do like the microsoft encoder for the wma format, I think microsofts new video format verses mpeg video is a joke and is the exact opposite of wma compared to mp3...
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 16, 2001 @ 2:44am

I'm pretty sure you could get a 20 minute movie down to 3 megs at really low quality. I like keeping my movies at atleast 3 megs a second.
Moose or Chuck

New WM encoder 8

Postby CJ » Apr 20, 2001 @ 7:46pm

Windows Media Encoder 8 beta has been recently posted by the dreaded MS. (!!)<br><br>I dedicated today to testing it with color bars / tricky to compress moving patterns / animations.  Slight improvment over version 7. Audio still pretty "gaspy" though. (I prefer RealAudio)<br><br>I've found 84KBPS is quite good.  64KBPS vid and 20 audio.  I could put up with it (just!).  My test video was 1:36 and comp to 1084kb.  That would litrally be perfect for 20MB for 30mins :-)<br><br>Some anoying things though.  For instance it won't accept DV CODEC AVI's as the input, so I have to dump everything as an AVI first.  If you have an MJPEG system, if offers deinterlacing + deint. frame doubling (gets 60 FPS from fields!)<br><br>It's a DOS based ap, but it seems to compress quite well (if a little slow!).  I've developed a front end for it in VB which includes extensive presets page for Pocket PC encoding (even though I don't have a PPC yet.  I can't decide which one to buy! Thinking IPAQ... not sure.)<br><br>Hope some of this is a help,<br><br>:-)  CJ<br>
CJ

Postby Jaybot » Apr 20, 2001 @ 10:54pm

Moose, are you sure you said 3 megs a SECOND?  So, if you had a one minute movie it would be 180MB!
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 20, 2001 @ 11:09pm

hahahahha, yea i usually havve about 10 megs a minute on my vcds or is that more i can't remeber well 600 meg movie and its about 30 minutes long<br>
Moose or Chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 21, 2001 @ 4:00am

I guess I ment a minute.. Let's see.. My 1:38 movie is 298MB.... That's exactly 3.04 MB a minute. And picture quality is SUPERB. So i guess I ment 3MB per minute.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 22, 2001 @ 1:49am

what rippin tool are you using to make it that small?? is this an .asf cause i know an mpg would look like shit if it was an hour and a half long and 200 some meg :/
Moose or Chuck

Postby Matt Keys » Apr 22, 2001 @ 2:39am

Well I just ripped Gone in 60 seconds the other day. I encoded it and all of that at high quality, and optimized for the PocketPC. I ended up with a two-hour movie for 280MB. The sound and video are perfect. So that is 2.3 MB a second. Chris should be posting the how-to for the method we use soon.
Matt Keys
Co-Founder
PocketMatrix.com
Matt Keys
Site Co-Founder

Postby SonicSilicon » Apr 22, 2001 @ 3:46am

Well, considering I've got a Cassiopeia E-105 I have very limited options:<br><br>1) MPEG using PocketTV (an older version, 1.4 - I tink.)<br><br>2) Activesky - Icky image (256 color), large files, and you can't encode your own content.<br><br>3) Casio Mobile Video - the proprietary MPEG format that came with my E-105.<br><br>Plain old MPEGs haven't played very well (though I found those encoded for Video-only CD-Rom playback tend to be okay.) The real problem is not being able to skip ahead.<br><br>ActiveSky just plain sucks (since it's designed for Palms.)<br><br>I have actually liked the results of Casio's format. It's only 15 FPS (I think, but everything keeps telling me it's 30 FPS.) Video quality is very nice as well as audio. Probelm is there's only two video sizes and two audio qualities to choose from. Still, it's better than blurry, choppy MPEG.<br><br>I can get about an hour and a half and 208x160 on a 256mB CF card, two and a quarter hours at 160x112. All I need now is a 256 mB card (right now I have a 128mB card and so does my dad, but I would rather not have to borrow his often.)
SonicSilicon
pm Member

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

General Windows Mobile discussion for end-users. Hardware, software, etc. This is also the forum to post your product announcements and other news.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Kevin Gelso, RICoder, Chris Edwards

Forum permissions