This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

21" Monitor Problems

21" Monitor Problems

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 10, 2001 @ 8:56am

Hello, last night, while watching Gladiator for the third time, I realized that my 17" computer monitor is tiny. I'm currently in the process of finding a new 21" monitor, but don't know the current state of monitor affairs. If anyone would care to clue me in on things, I'd be happy. The best one (I think) that I've found woul be ViewSonic's GS815. But as always (since marketing tells them it's bad marketing to put a price) I can't find out how expensive it is. I'd like to stay well below 800 if that's an option, but I'm guessing it this one is $815. Help me!<br>
Moose or Chuck

Re: 21" Monitor Problems

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 10, 2001 @ 9:09am

wellmy 15" is fine for me, but are you looking for flat screen, or crt? (or whatever the not flat ones are called)
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 11, 2001 @ 7:03am

CRT. A 15" Flat screen costs $1,200
Moose or Chuck

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 11, 2001 @ 8:46pm

Actually, i was at CompUSA today, and I saw a 21" flat screen for 2,000. I drooled there for a long time! But a CRT- HP makes some nice ones a@ .24 for less than $900.
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby xikilm » Mar 12, 2001 @ 7:12pm

You should be able to pick it up for under $800.  I see them going for about $710 with $40 - $45 shipping.
xikilm
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 13, 2001 @ 8:36am

Well, I was aware of the prices, but what would a good 21" monitor be. I would have liked to have bought this monitor last weekend, but don't know of a good one. Anyone with suggestions?
Moose or Chuck

Postby xikilm » Mar 13, 2001 @ 12:59pm

Personally I really love the KDS Avitron AV-21TF.  It has a Sony Trinitron tube, great res, and goes for about $770 plus shipping. <br><br>You can pick one up here:
xikilm
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 13, 2001 @ 1:04pm

Sounds great, But how about the:<br>Samsung SyncMaster 1200NF 22 inch .24mm 2048x1536 Color Monitor <br>It looks good and comes with a rebate so it's only $770. I'd want the monitor's depth to be pretty shallow, as I have a small desk. That KDS Aviltron is only 19.8" visible and has a 20.1" depth, that's not enough viewable and too deep.<br>The above Samsung one is only 18.7" deep, with 20.1" vis
Moose or Chuck

Postby xikilm » Mar 13, 2001 @ 1:30pm

Sounds like a great monitor.  I can't say I have ever seen a Samsung monitor before, but I'd say go for it. I may have to check it out myself, damn small desks! ;)
xikilm
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 13, 2001 @ 2:58pm

Ya, it does look pretty good. I just want to know the reliability of Samsung. It comes with a 3 year parts and labor and CRT warrenty, and I don't see owning the same monitor for more than 4 at the most. So I think I will go for it. Here's the link to where you can buy it from:<br>http://shop3.outpost.com/product/20628/<br>It has all the specs on that page too.<br>.24mm Flat Uni-Pitch Apeture Grille<br>2048 x 1536 @ 79Hz <br>Power Brightness/Contrast (+ Up - Down), Auto Adjust, Menu/Enter Information, Previous/Exit  all on hardware, not OSD<br>Lots of industry buzz words that sound good to me :D
Moose or Chuck

Postby Nightmare » Apr 9, 2001 @ 4:57pm

http://www.sgi.com/flatpanel/<br>YOU KNOW YOU WANT ONE!!!<br>hehehe<br><br>--------------------------------------------------<br>Nightmare|int13h<br>www.int13h.com - its all about control
Nightmare
pm Member

Postby Jaybot » Apr 9, 2001 @ 5:05pm

How about just getting a nice 32" (or any TV under 700 bucks if you're going to pay that much)Sony Trinitron TV with S-Video inputs and get a nice ATI All-in-Wonder Card (RADEON or 128 PRO) with an s-video out and save a lot of money and have a kick ass looking monitor.  That's what I use, and I sold my monitor and have never needed it since.
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby SonicSilicon » Apr 10, 2001 @ 2:01am

While the TV might sound like a good deal diagonal inch per dollar, there are other things to consider.<br><br>TV:<br>Cheaper per diagonal inch. Approximately 21-bit color.  Lower resolution (about 720x480.) Gamma tuned for video playback. (Most dark blue drops off.) Lots of people can view comfortably. Low refresh rate (60 Hz. "Ow! My fr****n eyes!")<br><br>CRT:<br>More expensive per diagonal inch. 24-bit color. Higher resolution. Gamma set for graphics (video playback tends to be murky.) A few people can view comfortably. High refresh rates.<br><br>Video Projector:<br>24-bit color. Wide variance in brightness. Different gamma settings for video and gaphics. Lots of people can watch. Cheap per diagonal inch, but more expensive than other options. Medium-high refresh rates.<br><br>I guess it boils down to what you're going to use a larger screen for.<br><br>If you want to watch lots of DVDs, definately get a good TV (I got a Sony Wega KV-20FV10.) Make sure you have a seperate card for video output, a card with video output that hs two RAMDACs, or VGA-to-Video converter. The reason is that your regular monitor's refresh will drop to 60Hz on DVD playback and distort the monitor image if you have just one RAMDAC.<br><br>If you're going to be using high resolution graphics (1024x768 and above) than the large monitor makes more sense.<br><br>If money is no object, a video projector could be real nice! (No, I don't have one.) It should have at least 250:1 contrast and 800 ANSI lums. 3-LCD types are better than single DLPs.
SonicSilicon
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 10, 2001 @ 3:33am

I bought the Philips Monitor that I believe I mentioned ealier. And computer monitors are 32BIT, atleast my display is. Who would even try using a TV as a computer Monitor, it's not ... that word, I've forgotten... tired from long schooling.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Jaybot » Apr 10, 2001 @ 12:57pm

I would.  In fact I do.  I think I just said that.  I sold my monitor becuause the s-video output from the ATI cards are incredible and using it on a kick-ass Sony TV (WEGA or otherwise) it works perfect for me. I'm kickin' it on my couch across the room w/ my logitach RF/wirelss mouse and keyboard surfing the net (who needs TV when you have this?), I feel like I'm watching a real DVD player that can be viewed with all mty friends instead of a novelty DVD-ROM for personal viewing, and I feel like I'm actually playing a console game now when I play games on this thing (especially emulators!), instead of sitting at my desk looking at an oatmeal colored tiny monitor. :)<br>Of course, that's just what I prefer...
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Next

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

General Windows Mobile discussion for end-users. Hardware, software, etc. This is also the forum to post your product announcements and other news.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Kevin Gelso, RICoder, Chris Edwards

Forum permissions