This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Standard Operating System Alternatives

Standard Operating System Alternatives

Postby NovaPhoenix » Apr 13, 2001 @ 12:05am

Alot of the time I'm asking questions like these so other people might find this thread and learn from them too.<br><br>Anywho, is there such things as alternative operating systems for my Ipaq or any other PPC out there?  If so what are they like, and how much does it take over the system?<br><br>What I'm looking for in an operating system and other programs-<br><br>Something similar to the windows desktop, and a tast bar that I can see the programs that are running.  An X in the top corner so I can click it and close the program.  Something to explore the entire system with, and see the hidden files.  Also see properties of files.  Basically a little windows 98.<br><br>Also I want to get rid of MS Money, can I just delete the one exec from the windows dir, or is there more files to get rid of?
I now GOT a PDA... And its kicking up a tantrum!
NovaPhoenix
pm Member

Re: Standard Operating System Alternatives

Postby Dan East » Apr 13, 2001 @ 12:41am

I think that what you are looking for is not a replacement Operating System, but additional utilities to add functionality to the Pocket PC OS. WIS Bar and GigaBar both provide a replacement task bar (the bar at the top of the screen with the clock), that allow you to close programs, switch between tasks, monitor battery and memory status, and much more. 3rd party file explorers are also available that allow you to modify files of all types. The File Explorer that came with Pocket PC is a terribly lame thing.<br><br>Many programs that came with your Pocket PC are part of the ROM. In other words, they do not take up RAM space like programs you install yourself. Thus you cannot (and would not benefit from) deleting programs of that kind. You can of course remove the link from the Start menu so you won't see it.<br><br>With the iPaq, which contains a flashable, or upgradable ROM, it is possible to replace the Operating System. Currently there is a version of Linux available that will run on the iPaq. However, this is not what you want to do, so don't try it! I'm not bashing Linux, it's just that based on your post replacing the OS is not what you want to do.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 13, 2001 @ 1:21am

OK, About deleting program apps like Word or Money from your PPC. When you hard reset your PocketPC it clears everything from RAM and copies all of the ROM into RAM. So deleting MS Money from your Windows directory will increase your memory, but only by 400kb, which is barely enough to make it worth it. Then, if you ever hard reset again, the program you deleted will be returned along with everything else that comes preinstalled.
Moose or Chuck

Postby k » Apr 13, 2001 @ 8:53am

Startap is a great great program which really enhances the usability of your pocket pc. You will get a much more windowsy feel by the familiar desktop, where you can customize application buttons, trashcan, backgrounds, ect. You also get a file explorer (much like a desktop one) with a lot of advanced features, and the ability to see all files (hidden, system). You can go to www.startap.com and try the trial version.<br><br>Startap and Wisbar (or Gigabar) combo will enhance your pocket pc a TON!!
k

Postby NovaPhoenix » Apr 13, 2001 @ 12:30pm

so whats the URLs for all these programs?
NovaPhoenix
pm Member

Postby Jaybot » Apr 14, 2001 @ 7:49pm

www.thumbsupsoft.com<br>for startap <br>www.gigab---ghgfkdfv<br>wait, I just did this like 3 days ago in another thread that you (nova) have already been to and posted in... go there and look.  i'm tired of retyping.
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby NovaPhoenix » Apr 14, 2001 @ 8:41pm

I'm not just asking becuase I'm lazy, I find it hard to go through all the threads and I'm also getting ppl to write up the URLs for other people too.  I use to come to this before I even got a PDA and looked at peoples threads to see what they said, and I couldnt stand it when they say stuff, but I can see any link.  As a newbie at the time I dont want to spend all my time serching through threds just to find a link :>
NovaPhoenix
pm Member

Postby k » Apr 17, 2001 @ 11:56am

Startap (desktop replacement) <br>Wisbar (start menu replacement) <br><br>Gigabar (Another more powerful and complex menu replacment) <br><br>Usually if you are looking for a program, you can just search for it in google.com and the webpage will pop up.
k

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 18, 2001 @ 7:19am

easy two links too find alot of pda stuff http://www.pocketgamer.org and http://www.zdnet.com go to the handhelds section
Moose or Chuck

Postby marcux » Apr 27, 2001 @ 11:19am

Put a New Operating system on it!!<br>www.pocketlinux.com<br><br>Pocket linux Rules!!
marcux

Postby marcux » Apr 27, 2001 @ 11:21am

Here are some screen shots of pocket linux!<br><br><br>http://www.pocketlinux.com/devcenter/screens.xsl
marcux

Postby Jaybot » Apr 27, 2001 @ 3:00pm

Maybe for the Ipaq.. but I can't see any reason to use it except to try out Pocketsnes9x for linux,, And NO, pocketlinux sucks for the casio.  It's glitchy, there's no keyboard, and you can't do a damn thing but look at the screen... and then after you've wasted an entire day trying to get it to run on your casio, you realize that it's just not good, not where it should be.  and then you have to spend another 15-30 minutes reloading stuff back onton your PPC because it zaps everything that was in the memory.
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

General Windows Mobile discussion for end-users. Hardware, software, etc. This is also the forum to post your product announcements and other news.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Kevin Gelso, RICoder, Chris Edwards

Forum permissions