This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Custom Levels for Palm Version.

Postby spaceman » Dec 5, 2004 @ 7:00am

spaceman
pm Member

Postby spaceman » Dec 24, 2004 @ 5:27am

spaceman
pm Member

Postby Jaybot » Dec 24, 2004 @ 5:41am

-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

HELP!

Postby BUMP THAT » Dec 31, 2004 @ 6:29pm

BUMP THAT

You've got to be kidding me...

Postby Disappointed » Jan 1, 2005 @ 9:07am

Disappointed

Re: You've got to be kidding me...

Postby goro » Jan 1, 2005 @ 1:35pm

goro
pm Insider

Not nagging, just showing my support

Postby spaceman » Jan 2, 2005 @ 12:07am

spaceman
pm Member

Postby Disappointed » Jan 2, 2005 @ 12:52am

Disappointed

Postby sponge » Jan 2, 2005 @ 1:07am

holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

at least register if you want to complain and stop hiding

Postby spaceman » Jan 2, 2005 @ 3:21am

Let me ask you, do you have any CURRENT problems with the gameplay?

As for the rest of the list, I am a paying customer also, but the reason that I am not complaining (don't get me wrong. I have about other things and I have thought about this multiple times) is because I understand the difficulties that the palm os presents and the added efforts that are needed to work with it. And I knew that when I spent the $550 on my UX50, I was getting into a new area for me and HAD TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND because everything about it was new. And especially compared to other palm games of this degree, $10 is a pretty good deal. Now, I've long since stopped comparing my palm to ppcs because I know that they are almost completely different. The only thing that connects the two is that they are both independent computing units that require electricity and the binary system.

Basically, what I am trying to say is, STOP, take a deep breath, and calm down before you take your frustration out on the people that have been helping us through these same problems this entire time.

PS- :!: HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY :!:
-spaceman
spaceman
pm Member

Postby goro » Jan 2, 2005 @ 3:25am

Sorry for being very harsh in my previous reply, I have worked on palm compatibility and it is very important for me to do our best on PalmOS, and we do put a LOT of energy in it and that is why I took your post personal.Which was not, I realized since that and I have to admit that I agree with you (partly) :)

1. Palm OS is standardized -- it's the hardware from manufacturers other than PalmOne that is not. Which is just like every computer out there, including notebooks, desktops, PocketPCs, and HandheldPCs. Specifically, there are just as many hardware incompatabilities with PocketPCs. About the only exclusion to the above is a Mac.

-I disagree, there are so many features appearing/disappering in different palmOS devices (too). Standard means (for me) that I write a code for one device and that works on other.
Some examples that just quickly came to my mind:
- Sony Silkscreen
- Sony music
- T3/DIA
- T3 screensize returns some invalid value (5x I think instead of 320)
- T5: hw info query function causes fatal error, while it works fine on other devices
- T5 has different DIA compared to T3
- T2 advanced sound system is different.
- TT does not return properly if OS5 sound is supported
- The free dynamic memory required to handle message box(alarm) etc is non deterministic and is different on multiple platforms.

2. Again, if you're going to port an application to the Palm OS and then charge for it, you need to make sure it works. There's no reason to blame Palm. If you cannot get it reliably working on the Palm platform, then maybe you should still be in beta and not charging for it.

- I am not bashing palmOS, what I am saying is that it takes time to reach our goals, and we do invest months of work to workaround these differences.

3. You seem to be pursuing this from the opposite end. If Palm OS has no file system and yet it is still the most popular handheld device, then wouldn't you think people would be used to the fact that it has no "real file system" so they wouldn't be confused by the separate files for synchronization? This is the way every Palm app is installed, including upgrades, skins, etc. If it's confusing to some customers, maybe they should not own a Palm.

-You might be right about it. Our original aim was to make palm version of our games and as time goes on add and add more enhanced features to make sure you enjoy our games.
I hope once we will add the multiplayer feature too.
The first method to add custom levels is just a hack I made because some people asked it.
In the new version you will only need 2 tools to add custom levels. One that compiles pdb to .zip and one from .zip to pdb to make it more simple.

4. I think what happened is it was easy to do this on the PocketPC platform, but you are finding it difficult on the Palm platform which you admittedly do not have as much experience.

I agree. Experience comes from feedbacks, and based on that we do make fixes/updates. Personaly I think the recent update is a huge step and very-very good compared to the previous version.

5. Not holding my breath. Sound on the T2 was not corrected for almost a year, and was known about WAY before I purchased Snails specifically for my T2 (since it was listed as supported). The T2 was not removed from the compatible hardware list. I feel this next version (with easier adding of levels) should be your first non-beta release. The two previous versions were not really ready for release, especially not if you're going to charge people.

-Yes, I had to obtain a T2 to be able to detect this T2 special feature. But now I know it(experience again), and it will be fine. About charging/not charging: Since the very beginning on PalmOS we always asked you to download the trial version and if it works fine on your device and you like our game then please buy it. While -naturally- we are making sure that our games reach 100% coverage on palmOS platform to increase their quality. (that is what the recent update was about too, and on what 2 of us worked for months)

6. Not a very relevant comparision, but I have to say that I can install custom card backs for Klondike, and a bowling alley lane is a bowling alley lane (what's the purpose of a "custom level" for bowling?). Both of these products were released without problems, supporting the hardware they claimed to, and the developer didn't make excuses about it being easier to or having more experience programming for the PocketPC (but still charging me for the Palm versions).

-It is not an excuse. We never charged money for something unknown. There are always trial versions or if you bought it accidently and did not work we always payed it back.

What you are asking your Palm CUSTOMERS (as in we PAID -- just like the PocketPC people did) to do in order to get some of the same features of the PocketPC version is ridiculous. The Palm version still cannot do internet play, comes with less levels, is ridiculously complicated to add new levels, yet it cost the same? And we just get excuses from the developer criticising Palm and telling me to go add new levels to a solitaire game? Don't produce products for the Palm platform if you don't like them. Or is it all about the $10 per purchase, even if it is an inferior port?[/quote]

-This is not (never was or will be) direct port.
There is Snails for PPC and Snails for Palm. Both cost $10 , but that is the only connection. Different devices, different features.

I am very proud of our PalmOS games, because we have choosen the hard way to reach the best experience on POS. Even if it meant that there might be device incompatibilities at the beginning.

Some examples:
- Our games are written in native ARM while it is not a conviently supported thing. (thats where our game's audio/visual performance comes from)

- I ported FMOD to POS to have the best sound engine on palmOS and to be able to playback CD quality .xm files.

- Everything in our games are compressed to have faster loader times and to be able to use huge graphical data (30Mb+ uncomressed in case of the Snails)

- 480x320 and 320x320 versions from the very begining

If you feel that our game's quality on certain POS devices is not 100% then I have to admit that you are right about it. But! We will reach it as quick as we can.

Cheers,
Goro
goro
pm Insider

Re: at least register if you want to complain and stop hidin

Postby Disappointed » Jan 2, 2005 @ 6:38am

Disappointed

Postby Disappointed » Jan 2, 2005 @ 6:53am

Disappointed

Postby Jaybot » Jan 2, 2005 @ 7:29pm

-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

An attempt to resolve

Postby spaceman » Jan 3, 2005 @ 2:05am

spaceman
pm Member

PreviousNext

Return to Snails

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss this game based on the popular computer game "Worms".

Moderators:

sponge, Jaybot, hockeydude, Peter Balogh

Forum permissions