This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Features for Next Release?

Features for Next Release?

Postby swhitlow » Feb 5, 2002 @ 8:54pm

I was wanting to put in my 2cents for the next release of DexPlor:

1. Have a "Classic Explorer" option to allow it to behave like the default File Explorer on PocketPC...

2. Add a "Copy To..." & "Move To..." item on the context menu...

3. Give free copies to people with the last name "Whitlow" :)

Thanks! Keep up the great work!
swhitlow

Postby Dan East » Feb 6, 2002 @ 2:24am

I'll consider #1.

For #2, there are a few quick commands to move files using the Send menu. You can move a file to My Documents with "Send to My Documents", or create a shortcut to it in the Start Menu with "Send to Start menu as Shortcut". If there are any good suggestions for other places to move or copy files to, then I can add them to the Send menu.

#3, :) I think a whole lot of people with the name Whitlow would suddenly appear. Requesting faxes of Drivers Licenses or Social Security cards to verify identity is not something I'm too fond of. :)

Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Robotbeat » Feb 6, 2002 @ 6:12am

Die, Palm, Die. If that offended you, then get rid of your Palm OS device.
Robotbeat
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Feb 8, 2002 @ 5:22am

That's a good idea. I won't be able to implement it in that way though, because when the user creates a custom target, I want them to be able to specify if the command should move, copy or create a shortcut to the file. I will just add a dialog to the settings where that can be specified. It most likely won't make it into the 1.2 release though.

Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby PepeGG » Feb 9, 2002 @ 1:47pm

It would be nice to be able to explore the network, but I haven't found a way to implement it yet.
But I'm sure it's possible...
<!--The Sourcerer-->
PepeGG
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Feb 9, 2002 @ 3:10pm

You and I discussed this a few months ago. :) I got ahold of an ARM version of redir.dll and netbios.dll, but that didn't help. :( The current beta of DEXplor is at least Network "aware" for PPC 2002 devices. It won't try to calculate directory sizes for network folders (because it is very slow due to network latency), and indicates the networked drives with a special icon.

Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby PepeGG » Feb 9, 2002 @ 3:38pm

I thought of forgeting the redirector for this matter, and go netbios. I mean, manually. It would be necessary to make a broadcast netbios name request to every IP in the network, get the answers and use this information to build a network tree.
We would need a netbios expert here to say if it's possible.
And even so, I have no fucking idea on how to implement it! 8) That's why I dropped it here. . .
<!--The Sourcerer-->
PepeGG
pm Member

Postby PepeGG » Feb 9, 2002 @ 6:30pm

<!--The Sourcerer-->
PepeGG
pm Member

Postby PepeGG » Feb 11, 2002 @ 12:01am

<!--The Sourcerer-->
PepeGG
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Feb 11, 2002 @ 2:59am

1: Are you using version 1.10? If so you can tap-hold, then hit Select->Select Siblings, to select all the items in the current folder. You can then delete, copy, whatever, all the files in the folder. I am also considering a second Multi-Select mode, where dragging will select items. You could then switch back to the "normal" Multi-Select mode to drag / drop the items you selected.

2: I'll consider some quick-navigation shortcuts.

3: That is absolutely a planned feature, and has been before version 1.0 was even released. :)

4: That is a DEXplor bug with non-english Pocket PCs. It has already been fixed in the current beta. As a temporary work-around, you can create the following directory on your Pocket PC and DEXplor will be able to save settings properly:
\Program Files\DEXplor\

5: I am certainly considering multilingual support for a future release. Thanks for the offer, and I will consult with you on that in the not-so-distant future!

Thanks for the comments and suggestions!

Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Return to DEXplor

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss this new File Management app by Dan East.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge

Forum permissions