This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

TCP/IP quake, how fast does it need to be?

TCP/IP quake, how fast does it need to be?

Postby Matt Keys » Feb 20, 2001 @ 5:29pm

Is this something that will require having a wireless lan or a high speed richoret connection? Or is it playable on a cdma wireless connection a 19.2 kbs?
Matt Keys
Co-Founder
PocketMatrix.com
Matt Keys
Site Co-Founder

Re: TCP/IP quake, how fast does it need to be?

Postby 999 » Feb 20, 2001 @ 7:34pm

You need at the least, 56k or higher.<br><br>A friend tried it on his Omnisky setup and wasn't able to keep a playable connection.<br><br>When he switched to a 56k CF modem, he could play just fine with a 350-400 ping.  If both players are in the same ping range, this won't matter much.<br><br>Ethernet or perhaps a wireless LAN would be the best way to go.<br><br>
pm Member

Postby Matt Keys » Feb 20, 2001 @ 7:46pm

Well what I was considering using this for would be playing a buddy of mine in school(while I should be working...im so pathetic) we would both be on a 19.2 connection but just a matter of 50-100 yards apart from eachother. Any chance of it working?
Matt Keys
Co-Founder
PocketMatrix.com
Matt Keys
Site Co-Founder

Postby sponge » Feb 20, 2001 @ 8:45pm

I have a feeling distance won't matter much overall. Remembering back to when I used to play NetQuake, I recall that pings were always bad on a 56K connection, and if the pings were good, it was still very choppy. Over a LAN though, it works great, so I would think a wireless LAN would be the best way to go.
sponge

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions