This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Quake 2 Ported to Pocket PC

Re: Quake 2 Ported to Pocket PC

Postby RwGast » Dec 31, 2001 @ 3:37am

This is pretty unrelated but i was wondering if you got ref_soft.dll to compile becuase it seams to have errors in it and MSVC++ ont compile it?
http://www.angelfire.com/ego/esoteric if you like to play quake3 keep your eye on this site
RwGast
pm Member

Postby johannpublic » Dec 31, 2001 @ 4:52am

Half-Life uses a *modified* Quake 2 engine...but an interesting prospect, nonetheless.<br>Is the source for HL available?<br><br>I think we'd have to wait until the next set of PocketPCs come out (400mhz)<br><br>Davinci: Compaq sells the dual cf sleds on their site, last time I checked.<br><br>How are the MrFlash cards working out for you? I haven't had the money just yet for one, but I also want to make sure that I won't be buying something that isn't top-quality...Last modification: Johann Public - 12/31/01 at 01:52:58
johannpublic
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Dec 31, 2001 @ 9:51am

Yes, the ref_soft.dll builds fine. Of course I fixed many problems during the porting process, so I don't know if things I corrected were specific to CE or not.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby masterhaides » Dec 31, 2001 @ 10:38am

CF Prices =D (i got my 128 for 40$ + Shipping)<br>www.pricewatch.com <br>$239  -  Compact 512MB <br>$137  -  Compact 320MB <br>$83  -  Compact 256MB <br>$83  -  Compact 192MB <br>$39  -  Compact 128MB <br><br>
masterhaides

Postby MooseMaster » Dec 31, 2001 @ 6:08pm

Let's not turn this into a memory card discussion...<br><br>Any good news Dan? Or maybe bad, I prefer bad news actually.
MooseMaster

Postby Dan East » Dec 31, 2001 @ 7:03pm

The speed is the biggest "problem". I am about to begin applying Quake 1 fixed point conversions, so hopefully I'll pick up a couple FPS. I just got the onscreen controls and mlook finished today, including landscape support. I will release soon, although there is a PM hosting change that will have to occur first.<br><br>The onscreen controls are more advanced, since Q2 has 11 weapons ( 3 more than Q1 ), plus 6 inventory items that must be "used". There is an additional movement ( crouching ), plus the onscreen "computer" that has to be pulled up often. So there are several more onscreen controls than Q1. The rendering is perfect, and really looks great on my iPaq, landscape or portrait. The speed will be the only issue. Fortunately, from here on out, I believe most all fixed point conversions will be applicable to both Q1 and Q2, since they rely on the same rudimentary 3D algorithms. So from now on I get two for the price of one for my optimization efforts.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby RwGast » Dec 31, 2001 @ 8:10pm

Dan do you really excpect it to run as fast as pq1 as Pocketgamer stated?
http://www.angelfire.com/ego/esoteric if you like to play quake3 keep your eye on this site
RwGast
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Jan 1, 2002 @ 4:41am

Not initially. It is absolutely possible for the existing hardware to run Q2 at least as fast as what we currently see with Q1. It all depends on how much of the floating point math is replaced with fixed integer counterparts.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby esw » Jan 1, 2002 @ 6:22pm

wow! It's great that the fixed-point stuff will work on both PQ and PQII without extra work. <br><br>I can tell that this is going to be great fun; it'll spark new life into PocketMatrix just like PQ did when it was 'born' ;) I'm also looking forward to the new mapping possibilities that quake 2 brings. It gave us many of the things we were missing in Q1: triggers that fire across maps, transparent water (might be a waste of processor power in pq2), ability to make better skyboxes.. tons of cool stuff.<br><br>anyway, thanks Dan ! ;DLast modification: esw - 01/01/02 at 15:22:19
esw
pm Member

Postby Mike Wagstaff » Jan 1, 2002 @ 8:50pm

Mike Wagstaff
- For Gamers on the Go...

Mike Wagstaff
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » Jan 1, 2002 @ 11:28pm

Wow. Good to see I'm so consistant. :) I make a good PR guy for myself. :D<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby RwGast » Jan 2, 2002 @ 12:02am

I didnt really think you said it but i dont know who did until now but it was stated on your site. Anyways i wasnt accusing anybody of stating anything untrue i just couldnt belive it since q2 pumps out alot more polys than q1. :)Last modification: Robert - 01/01/02 at 21:02:03
RwGast
pm Member

Postby F-Corp » Jan 2, 2002 @ 12:08am

Great work Dan. now all we need is someone to <br>take the time to convert one of the operating <br>system dependent Bot's that exsist for Q2 <br>into a PocketPC compatabil Q2 Bot and We will<br>be in Pocket Deathmatch heaven. :D
F-Corp

Postby RwGast » Jan 2, 2002 @ 12:15am

I am already working on this with CRBot i just wating for the src code since all of there links were broken.
RwGast
pm Member

Postby randall » Jan 2, 2002 @ 6:55am

holy crap. where's f-corp been all this time?
randall
pm Insider

PreviousNext

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions